1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto or manual for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by M&M SnowRemoval, Feb 21, 2005.

1. M&M SnowRemoval

M&M SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from NJ

i was wondering what everyones opinion was about tranny selection. i have a auto and it really seems to take a beating. sometimes i think a manual would be much quicker and perhaps last longer. Whats everyones thoughts?

2. E&B

E&B Member

I had a manual tranny once, too much shifting and clutching for me. Auto seems to work just fine for me but it also has a good size cooler on it.

3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Auto for me too. Like E&B said, too much shifting and clutching. An auto will last just as long as manual, so long as you religiously perform services on it.

Ryan

4. E&B

E&B Member

A good external tranny cooler doesn,t hurt either, witch most 4X4 trucks come with anyway.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

auto way too many hours clutching

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My dodge is auto- not by my choice my Chevy is a standard. Learned to plow in a standard- learned to drive in a standard to actually. My next truck will be a standard too. A little more work maybe but it's easy to tear up an auto andcheaper to replace a clutch.

7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I used to plow with Standard trans. 15 year was enough never again will I buy a Standard trans.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

auto. allison does great plowing. Plowing isnt very hard on it IMO. TH mode keeps the converter locked part way through 2nd gear so she runs really cool while plowing and while transporting.

9. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

reverse speed

It depends on what kind of plowing you do. If you plow bigger lots where long didstance backing up is neccessary, auto trannys go a lot faster in reverse without red-lining the motor