1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto Oiler for drag chain

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flipper, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We have switched to stainless spreader and have eletric motors on them which has eliminated almost all issues with spreaders. Still doing normal greasing etc. I am trying to think of some sort of oiler that could oil the drag chain as it moves. Thinking of something with a resevoir, tubing and a valve that I could just turn on when I know I starting a big application area. As chain rotated it would drip oil onto both links of the chain. Wouldn't have to be on all the time but maybe once per storm or when running out salt after the storm.

Anyone done anything like this?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Henderson spreaders use to have a kit with like a three gallons reservior.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That"s actually just about what I was thinking. Probably use a larger resevoir. I am thinking of mounting it under engine cover and let it gravity feed down and oil chain right after it turns under rear sprocket and head back up toward the front. That way to oil seeps in before it hits the salt again.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting idea! Main thing to figure out is an on/off valve that will work with the oil, something electric to switch it on and off as you run the conveyor. The rest could be done with a 5-gallon pail, rubber hose, and fittings from the farm supply store.