1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto lock front hubs 04' F-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ducatirider944, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Anyone have a problem with the autolocking front hubs on a super duty? I can't find a vacuum leak, but I'm not getting any vacuum at the hubs when you turn the knob from 2wd to 4wd. I will go on the long search of trying to find the problem, but was hoping that some one here has had this problem and can point me in the right direction, so I don't have to spend a week trying to find the problem. I do know the vacuum system is working on other things, just not the auto locking hubs.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Start with checking to see if you have vacuum on the red vacuum line at the hub actuator solenoid on the inner fender with the switch in the 4WD position. If you do, then it's likely the solenoid isn't being activated by the 4WD switch to send the necessary vacuum down to the hubs. Those solenoids go bad quite often.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure you have a good vacuum guage when testing.
  4. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I have had the same problem with mine occasionally. Someone told me to push harder on the brake because it runs off the master cylinder pressure. I'm not sure if this works or not, it kind of sounds stupid to me.

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I had the same problem and found it to be the o rings in the hub itself. I went ahead and replaced the "junk" auto locking hubs with a set of good warn manual locking hubs. Never have to worry wether they are locked in or not. Realatively inexpensive also around $180. Just my .02
  6. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

I had auto hubs fail on an old Chevy and I agree with 01SMOKINSD.
  7. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

Did you recently replace ball joints? If someone replaced the ball joints they might have tried to get awya with not changing the axle seals.
  8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

My front hubs have leaked vacuum before. Have them replaced. I think it takes my mechanic 5 mins to take one out and put a brand new one in? It happens....