1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto Insurance and Plowing?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 00silverado, Aug 28, 2014.

1. 00silverado

00silverado Member

I am just getting into plowing on my own this winter, i have been plowing for my buddies company for a few years now. I am plowing off the books just for some extra money to help me through college. Some one told me that if im plowing and i damage something on some ones property they can go after my auto insurance. Is this true? Didnt know insurance did that

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm..........

3. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

If you damaged something why would you not take care of it so they don't have to go after anybody.

They can go after your basic auto policy all they want once your personal auto policy finds out were using the vehicle for a job, in commerce, to make money whatever you want to call it they are most likely not going to pay anyone including you.

This is one of the risks of doing it under the table. You will be responsible for any damage you cause, and your damage done to your truck may not be covered as well if your insurance company starts asking questions.

Like the tax questions the requirements for this will vary state to state ect, just tell your insurance company what you are doing and they will change the policy to a commercial and adjust your premium or monthly payment however you do it. Then you don't have to worry.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You're doing just fine.....,..

Until you start plowing under the table or not. Get the INS. Its a whole different game on so many levels.