1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto darkening mirrors?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by briggsguy17, Jan 7, 2010.

1. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 Member
    from NW PA

04 2500HD Duramax. The truck has auto darkening rearview and driver side mirrors. If anyone has plowed at night with these things I think they will agree that it SUCKS! Does anyone know of a way to disable this "feature"? Short of a hammer.:laughing:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cover the rear facing light sensor on the rear view mirror with a piece of electrical tape. The mirrors will then stay "bright" all the time.

3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Im glad someone asked about this because we have a truck we will only use as a back-up because of this feature. The guys hate plowing with it but i will have to try that trick.

4. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 Member
    from NW PA

Thanks B&B I will give it a try.

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

This thread is funny cause I am the opposite. Mine never dims when someone is behind me. Its just the rear view though. My side mirrors dont have that option.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Or you could trade me for the non powered tow mirrors on my 2000 Silverado.

7. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 Member
    from NW PA

Sorry, I like the heat and power fold option, it's just that damn darkening feature! :gunsfiring:

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I like that feature but not for towing or plowing. Mine has an on/off switch on the bottom of the mirror

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Sooner or later, someoneis going to take meup on that.

A pox on the original owner for paying money to have nice power heated mirrors replaced with manual tow mirrors.