1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto conversion

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by asphalter1, Nov 19, 2003.

1. asphalter1

asphalter1 Junior Member
    from 08527

Hi all, I have a 1989 f-350 7.3 auto 4x4 dual rear wheels was wondering how hard to convert it to a manuel 5speed .
    has any one done one.what would be needed? thanks

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I have never done one in a 7.3 but I can tell you what you can look forward to... A real pain in the rear. Not just an ordinary pain, I mean a royal hemroidal pain!

First, you have to hang a clutch and string the cabbe or route hydro lines. Next dropping that 1,000 pound auto trans and t-case and installing the manual trans to the t-case and get all the different wiring ready. Then, you have to get the hole in the floor ready for the stick to drop through. If you are not swayed against this undertaking by now, here is sme more stuff to do... Next, you have to get that 900 pound manual trans and t-case back into the truck. In the meantime, look for some drieshafts from a manual truck since your auto shafts will be incorrect now. Once you get everything bolted up and all the hydro lines or clutch cable installed, stick and interior trim installed, all the wiring hooked up, and the driveshafts installed and the clutch bled, you are ready to go. I would say it would take a solid 3 to 4 days work.

With that said why would you want to change to a manual over an auto?

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

why would you want the go from auto to stick?
    john