1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Diesel Jeep?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by viperakron, Oct 10, 2010.

1. viperakron

viperakron Junior Member

Anyone have any experience with a 4 cyl turbo diesel in a right hand drive jeep? A local has one for sale, 98 Cherokee, came from Australia. Looks interesting, but what motor did they use for the turbo diesel? Is it torquey, will it plow? I've never seen one? RH drive.goofie marker lights on top of the fenders.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why would you want one?

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe he wants an engine with some power. You can't get a gas Jeep with any power.

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

why wouldn't he? we love our liberty diesel

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

sounds pretty cool to me

6. theplowmeister

from MA

That is B#####

My strait 6 has power to push snow, in fact I run out of traction before I run out of power.

Lets see why not get a left hand drive car to drive around hear.

parts?

OK ...

how about a diesel
    MMM parts I dont think NAPA stocks them. fuel pump water pump gaskets ... the list goes on.

Id worry about the F end with the weight of a diesel engine and a plow.

If I remember right the XJ weighs 100 LB LESS than the TJ

7. viperakron

viperakron Junior Member

Still the question, has anyone got one? What diesel did they use? Has to be some kinda of Asian partnership with Chrysler, Izuzu maybe? I'm sold on diesel performance, but it need to be practical to maintain.

8. viperakron

viperakron Junior Member

It's a little 4 cyl Diesel with a turbo.

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

It's a VM Motori 2.5L I4, parts availability would probably be a nightmare for sure.

Better off with a US market Liberty diesel like Salopez even they can be hard to find though.

10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I have a friend that bought a cherokee sport Rhd, it was a mail carriers vehicle. They can order just about anything in Rhd because of there job. Parts should all be the same on the vehicle, you just need to figure out what other cars have that engine.

11. theplowmeister

from MA

can you register it?
    only cars that meet US safety and pollution standers can be registered. Thats why you dont see a lot of the excellent foreign cars around. People would be bringing them over for there own use, but you cant just bring over anything you want.

12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Have any pictures of this Jeep?? The old diesel jeeps had perkins diesels. I don't know about the 90's though. And I agree with theplowmeister, Even though I am a diesel guy the jeeps 4.0 inline 6 is a GREAT motor.
    Robert

13. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

correct.

I have an '86 comanche with a renault 2.1 factory turbo diesel...parts are near impossible to find.

the RHD xj for one is a PITA...the whole tie rod assembly, drag link, steering box, track bar...they're all different, for one.

alternators for a 2.5vm are easy to get...if you're willing to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get them from italy. same goes for almost every other part for it.

14. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Diesel should have plenty of power. Use low range if you need to. Easier on the tranny too.

MLG

15. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

it's only got like 90hp and 180ft/lbs of torque.

you guys are all thinking "big bad diesel" when you should really be thinking "little tiny diesel for gas mileage only"

16. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I have a 6.5' Western on my 81 Toyota Tk that has a 22R in it. It's about 90hp if even that much. It plows snow just fine. I mostly use low range, 2nd gear, just to take it easy on the tranny so it doesn't chug. But I can do it in high range as well using 1st or 2nd gear. So, I don't know why a Jeep would be any different.

17. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

yeah...but you forget. the toyota motor is a GOOD motor. italian and french 4 cyl diesels are not capable of withstanding the abuse. plus they are hard to maintain, and hard to find parts for.

18. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

If it has 90hp, then it should have lots more torque which is what you want/need for plowing snow. You do have low range, don't you? Is it manual or automatic?

MLG

19. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

it only has a max of 180hp, maybe 190...an american 4.0 costs less to maintain, is easier to maintain, is easier to replace, develops more hp and ft/lbs/torque, and is generally a better motor than the vm, at least in America, becaus it, unlike the VM, was actually offered in America.....good luck getting parts for ANY xj body style factory diesel, reguardless of the year.

besides, who wants to run a dago motor, reguardless of the fuel it consumes?

20. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

previous comment coming from someone who has worked on alfa romeos for the past 2 years...