1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

August 12th sled pull

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rob_cook2001, Aug 14, 2010.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Took both of the work trucks out to the local sled pull to enter the work stock class. I ended up having to pull in exposition class because my CC LB SRW F-350 weighed in at 8330 (1/4 tank of fuel and had an 8K lb cut off). I put 12 feet on the person who took 1st, and my brother took 2nd with his RCLB plow truck (with factory bald continental tires). There was about 30 trucks in our class so not to bad for the work trucks! Time for new tires and traction bars before the next pull for both trucks, and a diet for the crew cab. People seemed a little surprised by the plain jane work truck.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aCPw2vdq0w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aCPw2vdq0w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EV1xQt6XAjo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EV1xQt6XAjo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Ford power!

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Lookin good!

Is it just me or does that track look short?

4. rob_cook2001

A little, the 300ft mark was right at the gates.
    Robert

5. rob_cook2001

I am going to put new tires and weels on both the trucks before the next pull, I would love to put a leveling kit and 35's on my truck but I am worried it might not pull as good. What does everyone think? All my other trucks I have ever pulled with are stock higth with 285 bfg's.
    Robert

6. Triple L

from Canada

gotcha... most of our pulls are 320' sometimes they even pull past that...

7. rob_cook2001

We had a pull for the locals before the main event with no weight restrictions. My brother pulled 2nd place at like 298 and I pulled it out the gates, something like 322. All the prostock and modified gassers were pulling just over 300ft. We have had pulls that are less than 300 and had some that were 350.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Good job. I love waching the truck pulls.

9. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Very nice truck pulls at my local fair will be next week

10. rob_cook2001

We have a pull this sat, changing a few things. Excited to see how they do. We should really be out pulling with our hotrod trucks but we are having fun in the 6.4's lol
    Robert

11. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

how is that 06 coming along? last time i seen your post on it you were still working on it

12. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Do run in high? Just put it to the boards? It sounds like the tranny shifts...Just courious and would love to try one. I hear there is one south of me every other weekend.

13. Triple L

from Canada

run in low 3rd gear if you dont want to blow anything up

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Had truck pulls last night down here. 6.4's dominated with one Duramax coming 30 feet from winning but he snapped 4x4 when he let loose so he did pretty good in 2wd!

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wish we had some 6.4's to play with. Nice pulls I don't play with my work trucks I'm scared of screwing something up.

16. rob_cook2001

The sled was fairly light there, We both ran in 4hi 1st gear, The "shift" you hear is the converter locking.
    Dave I was wondering what you have for suspension mods and what size tires you have on your pulling truck.
    Thanks
    Robert

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

tires & suspension

Robert,
    I put a set of Bilstein coils and shocks on my 08 which brought up about 2". The Spring rate and valving is a little stiffer than stock but still rides good. I keep away running 35's,
    I ran them on my '00 and they were hard on the front end, bearing's were the first to go then ball joints. If you wanted to pony up the cash and go for a built Dyna Trac Dana 60, this would hold up to what you're doing. Also 35's with a 2" level kit does give you any room and if you wanted to turn lock to lock you'll be trimming your fenders. A friend of mine ending up having to do this on his '07. I put a set of Good Year DuraTracs on my '08 after going through a set of BFG AT's in 20K miles. The GY's are great and plan on putting them on my '97 this fall.

So where are you pulling this weekend?

David

18. Triple L

from Canada

How do you go thru a set of BFG AT"S in 20K?

They are the best tire ever built IMO... We got 85,000 km's out of our last set of steer tires....

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm running a set of Interco STS 33x12.5s. They are very soft and you can't drive them on the road at all but they work really well in most situations. I'm still waiting on my twins which I"m pissed about. I have traction bars, blocks , straight centre link and hd tie rods. The truck seems to be set up really good now but we'll see for sure when the power doubles. I keep waiting for the vid of your race truck.

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

BFG's Triple L

How do you go thru a set of BFG AT"S in 20K?

They are the best tire ever built IMO... We got 85,000 km's out of our last set of steer tires....

Well I could be a smart A$$ by saying with Ford Power which does have some truth.......

The BFG's I went through were 285/65-18's after putting them on I realized they only had 16/32's of tread from the start. So IMO they didn't have much to start with, after 20K and several rotations they were down to the wear bars. I use my '08 to pull my sled trailer in the Mtns and there a good deal of switch backs to contend with and I have a tendency to be a little heavy with the foot at times.
    I've run these tire's for about 20yr's on numerous trucks all diesels and doing the same type of driving. I had been getting about 30K + previuosly. About 6 yrs ago I switched to running GY MTR's with them being siped on my previous PS. These were a great set up and I was getting 35k out of them and they had great traction up till the end. Since then GY has limited the size of the MTR's and added the MTR's w/Kevlar (big $$) to the line up. So when it was time to re shoe the '08 I went with the GY Dura's 275/70-18 (18/32" of tread) , I have 16K on them and at about 50% of tread.