1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auger vs drag chain for new salter

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bcbrouwer, Jan 20, 2013.

1. bcbrouwer

bcbrouwer Member

Hey everyone, just a question for those who have both types of salters or know info on both. I am thinking of getting a 4-5 cibic yard salter, some have options of an auger or drag chain to discharge the salt. I currently have a 1.5 cubic yard salter with an electric motor and auger. 2 years old, had to replace the motor, salt somehow got inside the motor and corroded one of the brush holders and springs. took 4 hours to replace because it was never anti-siezed when new (I bought it used btw) so im not totally struck on the auger style, plus it seems to jam sometimes, and I run nice dry salt with a screen.

what is more reliable in the long run? the drag chain would move slower, but I would think more friction and abrasion wear would result. what your all your experiences and opinions on which style to get? thanks!

2. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Their's quite a few threads like this already, search feature helps.

Auger provides more even spread pattern, but tends to jam which you already found out.
    Chain has a little bit of a "wave" pattern to it, a lot harder to jam, and usually lasts longer.