1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auger or Pintle Chain Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mnguy, Nov 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. mnguy

mnguy Member

Just wondering advantages and negatives of both. Thinking about buying the new boss spreader and you can choose between the two. I think the auger unit has the vibrator and back lights as standard and its an option for the chain unit. We have a Fisher auger unit now and seems to work good.Thanks in advance.....

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If I had to guess, I'd say an auger would be stronger, especially if it is made of stainless steel.... chains rot over time and break. However, chain systems are typically made of off-the-shelf industrial type parts available at any supplier, where as auger units may be brand specific. Only have experience with chain type, and have broken a chain before...

3. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I work on about 14 v-bed chain drive salter and in my 18 years only replaced one chain, because a shovel got caught in the chain. The bearing can be bought anywhere. If you get a gas engine make sure it's a Briggs and stratton.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Auger for salt and the best control, conveyor for sand and cinder. So it's whatever material you use most.

Most augers are mild steel.

5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I looked into this a few weeks ago also---the new VBX auger is mild steel,specs say unloading rate at full bore is app. half of the chain drive but real life scenario says not quite that slow.There are 2 vibrators with the auger,you get none with the chain unless you pay for the upgrade.There is a removable tray with the chain so there's a way to reduce/eliminate salt buildup in the bed.Also as an upgrade with the chain is an inverted V baffle.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I looked into this a few weeks ago also---the new VBX auger is mild steel,specs say unloading rate at full bore is app. half of the chain drive but real life scenario says not quite that slow.There are 2 vibrators with the auger,you get none with the chain unless you pay for the upgrade.There is a removable tray with the chain so there's a way to reduce/eliminate salt buildup in the bed.Also as an upgrade with the chain is an inverted V baffle.

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I find I get more jam ups with the auger style vs chain. No sand here all salt.

8. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I just bought a new Boss with the chain. Dealer says its apersonel preference. Guess time will tell.

9. Digger63

Digger63 Member

From the customers that I have, the augar is easier to use and control but, If the material is wet the auger turns into a mixer. The material turns into a slush and won't come out of the end of the sander for the spinner. As you know shoveling out a fully loaded sander to get the augar isn't the greatest experience. I've gained alot of customers from other suppliers who treat their salt to the point it's too wet for the augar