1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auction

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, Jul 27, 2001.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

the state of ct is having a big truck auction saturday august 4th ( a saturday) at 9:30am in wethersfield,ct. http://www.das.state.ct.us/Surplus/display_auction.asp.
    it says they have 80 ford 87 and 88 L8000's, most with plows. if ur looking for a lot truck or whatever, check this auction out.

bryan

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never been to one of these types of auctions, but I'm sure if you play your cards right, you could walk away with some pretty good deals. Anyone get any equipment this way?

Tim

3. snow

I know a couple local contractors buy them. My friend plowed for a guy who owns 3, and picked em up at the last auction for $2k. On my way back from cutting lawns, i passed by an older internation CT DOT truck, still had the plow gear, and spreader was there except for the spinner. My friend is going to buy one for a lot he does. with 80 trucks, there should be some good deals. i'm trying to go, just to see what a truck in OK/running condition goes for.

bryan

4. allabout

allabout Member

Big Landscaping/snowplowing/Truck auction sat. (28) in Woodstock Il. I buy from these alot.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Allabout,

Could you give me a little more info on that auction in Woodstock? That's only about 10-minutes from where I am.

Thank you.

-Tim

6. allabout

allabout Member

july 28 9:00am 1 mile west of rt 47 on 176 e- mail me (I will be there)

7. allabout

allabout Member

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Bryan are those trucks the L-8000's all auto's,they look good in you pics just wish they where a little more closer to see them better.They would be a good deal at 2K if they has low miles and not too much rot.L800's are a good truck and I would love to pick one up.

****Any one needing directions to this auction go to mapquest.com ********It even gives an aerial view of the site.

9. kutnkru

kutnkru Member

Isnt it true that when the STATE orders these type of vehicles that they have two frames to hold the weight and abuse the operators can dish out???

Thus wouldnt this make the trucks overweight, and unable of legally hauling loads or sanding units for civilian use???

Just curious. :confused:
    Kris

10. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Kris - are you referring to the term "double frame"?

If so, it consists of using two channels nested inside one another to form each frame rail. Although this does impose a weight penalty on the truck, it doesn't add enough to make hauling a useful payload illegal - just lowers the legal payload somewhat.

And yes, the double frame does make the truck more capable of handling "rough service". The double frame option is common on mixers & dump trucks (including ones that don't plow) and I've even heard of "triple framed" units.

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Some of the three and four axle trucks have a double frame but Ive never come across one on a two axle truck such as what the state DOT uses (I believe they are all 33k trucks).

12. thelawnguy

I will be there Saturday. Anyone see a big guy wearing a yellow ball cap with "feeding frenzy" on the back, say "hi".

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I wish I could get down there those L8000's look good I know bryan will be there good set of equipment to add to his gallery.

14. snow

cat320-

no ride, my dad doesn't want to take me. oh well, i wish i could be there. if i had a place to store a truck, i'd buy one of those, with a built in sand and comes with a plow. i'd get it repainted green or red, and when i got my cdl, or if i found a driver, it would be on the road. oh well, no yard, no big truck.

i'll get pics other ways (thelawnguy),

bryan :-(

15. thelawnguy

Action Report

Spent the morning at the auction.

First off if you dont have a way to get these trucks out, or to get the plows out of the bed, dont bid cuz they give you til the following Tuesday to remove from the site or you forfeit your 20% cash deposit (a drone collects from you w/in 30 seconds of the "sold" call).

All the L8000s were 87 and 88 33,200GVW. All had headgear for a plow, some had plows, some had two or three in the bed. All have 6 cyl Ford diesels. Most need some rust repair, bottom of doors and air cleaner ass'ys were rusted thru. The ones with the duo-tilt beds had major rust in the beds. Regular dumps were better. All the plows were rusty, they would need major work to be put back in to plow service- 1/2 inch thick steel on the plows were rusted completely thru.

Not bad prices tho. All trucks had between 110 and 160K miles. Auto trans trucks went from 4000 to 6000, stick from 2300 to 4500. A real clean 87, dump with Airflow sander insert 128k miles sold for 6900.

There were Mobil Athey sweepers for ~3500 each. 95 GMC 16 pass bus with 160k on the clock for 3400. 89 2wd suburban for 900. 66 GMC 60 wrecker for 900. 80 GMC 60 flatbed dump for 1050. 88 International with versalift bucket for 4100. Great deal for some tree guy. A 90 International dump, looks like it slid into a pole on the passengers side, front clip cracked and wheel bent, for $1750. Had a tractor-mount mower attachment in the bed that was sold with it (the type they trim trees with along the interstate).

There was a beat 88 Ford L8000 with 2 plows, 188k on the clock and rusty for 2500 but with AT. 87 Int'l stake body 19k gvw for 1200. 78 Int'l gas 1600 platform for 650. A real clean truck, ran nice.

how about a 88 Dodge Ram pickup, at, 6 cyl for 450? 92 F150 for 750. 89 GMC 3500 with utility body and bucket lift for 1850. Real clean 85 E350 window van with diesel for 1200.

I thought the tractor prices were crazy. 80 JD301 with flail mower, 14,000 hours for 3300. A 77 JD301 with mower and 57,000 hours for 2300. A bargain was an illuminated arrow sign with generator on a trailer for $175. Also a 93 Ford Ranger with 66k miles sold for 2000.

I didnt stick around for a clean 77 Mack R with sander body and 60,000 miles but the frame was cracked just ahead of the pass side springs. Lots of parts trucks available also including a 88 Ford F350 4 door diesel with the engine missing.

A pretty intersting morning. I picked up a disposable camera on the way, so when I get the photos Ill have snow put em up on his site with captions.

16. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Sounds like you didn't buy anything ?

I have been to those auction before, it is rare that you find something that is not in need of major rehab.

Think I would rather take my chances with auto trader and bargain news and private sellers.

Just my opinion!

Jeff

17. thelawnguy

No I did not buy. Had no intention of either. Paid my $3 got my catalog and tore up my number just to be sure.

rare was the vehicle that you could just drive home. Just about every one of them had a rust hole in the air intake can, rust holes in the beds, one or more bald tires, etc. The worse the truck was, the more goodies they piled in the bed to get the bids up, as whatever was in or on the truck went with it.

From an earlier post, none of the L8000 had doubled frames, except the ones where a crack was repaired :rolleyes:

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I went to an equipment auction a few times the only thing is you never go on the week ends becuse every one and there mother is there wanting to buy even junk stuff in turn rasing the price.By the time all is said and done you end up paying more than if you just went to a used truck store and bought one used. never had any luck at state sales.

19. snow