1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auction fever

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mdirrigation, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Just got back from an auction for the GSA in Deleware
    1997 c 30 4wd 8 ft dump elec hoist , meyers hydraulic spreader , meyers 8 foot plow. 350 small block 17,500 miles $ 9000.00

The people were going crazy over this truck , the problem was all it did was plow snow, rust was everywhere, bent a frame on plow, bent plow support, blown transfer case, ripped seat , big hole in floor., dump bed low on fluid , cracked windshieldand bald tires

It was a northern Pa truck , it amazes me that when people go to auctions they get caught up in the moment and go crazy. The truck was basically rode hard and put away wet, I was considering the truck under 1000,00 as a parts truck . The buyers caught the fever and paid dearly for it.
  2. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

do you ever see any plows at the auctions and if so can you give me info on where they are
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

see plows all the time try Rbauction.com they are world wide look in the newspaper for auctions near you , go to some just to get a feel for how they work
  4. rewoodworking

5. gdellamonica

gdellamonica Junior Member

This is what my brother and I have dubbed "clamp fever". The first auction we went to was at a cabinetmaker's shop that closed. They wheeled out a huge A-frame rack of clamps, and all the amateurs went nuts. The auctioneer started with the 12" clamps - big, beefy I-beam clamps. The bidders saw the quality, even on used clamps, and compared them to their harware store clamps. They went nuts, and started bidding so high that with the 10% premium, they were going to pay more than RETAIL at a woodworking store! By the time the auctioneer got to the other side of the rack where the 4' and 6' clamps were, we could see people looking at their bidding sheets in amazement, realizing that they had spent all their money. I picked up 6' clamps at the end, when the frenzy had drained all the suckers, and I only paid $10 apiece for them. The trick to going to an auction is to start at the viewing, like you did, with an estimate of what an item is worth. Then, when the bidding starts, don't get into the "Hey it's only $100 over what I thought it was worth" syndrome, because each $100 adds up until you've gone overboard.

I go to a lot of anitique auctions, and I alsways find it a source of cheap amusement to see amateurs following every word of hype that the auctioneer spews. Heck, he's only there to get as much as he can for an item, not to get you the best value! I hope the dump truck auction at least provided the same amusement to you in watching the suckers at the feeding frenzy. Now you have bragging rights. ("Hey, I was at an auction where some rube paid nearly $10K for a POS worth nine hundred bucks!") Not everyone has seen "auctionarius rubius" in his native habitat.

Good luck at the next auction. Hope for lousy weather. It keeps some of the meeker, more gullible rubes indoors.

6. rewoodworking

so true we had a yearly auction near here that over a corse of four years l learned that stuff like checking the weather channel

its just hard to find what you want at what auction you can really spend alot of time
  7. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Went to an auction last week trying to pick up a Bobcat skid steer. Had to be about 20 years old. Ran pretty good. I think the model was a 743? Anyway, I thought i may be able to pick it up for around $1,500-$2,000 just to load salt. Ended up selling for $6,200!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  8. rewoodworking

same thing happened to me two years ago i needed forklift to unload trucks so i heard about auction close by so i went and all the #$%@^holes where there prices out of control so i hung out and bid on a skid steer and i got it cheap but not what i should have anyway happy i got skid steer not only a fork lift but i can plow and dig to:) :D
  9. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

The problem with auction is the general public .Thinking that they are getting some great deal, keeps getting up bid from the idiot bedding on junk that he thinks its gold plated.
  10. fivestar

fivestar Junior Member

And watch out for the ever present Ghost Bidder!!!!!
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have a buddy who has a car lot and i would go with him to the auction. And ill tell you 9 times out of 10 if theres a truck there its got some prob with it. A truck will hold its value alot more then a car and everybody wants then, Therefor these no good reason for a lot to auction a truck off. So be extreamly careful bidding on a truck at an auction.
  12. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Outside of Phila, we used to have Vilsmeyer Auctions. Guys would go the day before for an inspection and pull plug wires, disengage clutch cable and STILL get outbid. In 5 years I never bought 1 item. People would win the auction, pay for the item, tranfer the title and not pick trucks up and it would go up again. Unbelievable.
  13. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I kind of get a kick out of Ebay, I love it when people pay $50 to $100 more for a nextel phone than you can buy it from nextel for. I think it's that boy am I getting a deal mentality that runs wild.
  14. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I think the sunconscious thinking goes' I'm at an auction, and I'm going to get a great deal.... no matter how much I pay'.