1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Sep 22, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Anyone using ATV's to help out on walks or small areas>? I have a couple accounts that we use 2 guys to shovel. One account takes them 2 1/2 hours to shovel the other almost three.I have a few others with walks that they try to keep clean themselves.Thinking an atv could work if i get the others on board.they seem expensive but if it saves time and gives me another toy!! maybe its worth it..Just need someone with the leather skin to run it!I see some dealers offer a free plow when you purchase one.do they hold up to the conditions??
  2. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Actoully about 2/3 of my business is done with ATV's. We run 2-4 depending on the amount of snowfall (and how much help I have at the time). I personally prefer polaris 400 two-strokes. Only because they will start no matter how cold it gets. I haven't had any experience with the others, I'm sure they are fine also. The one thing that you want is an ATV that puts power to all 4 wheels when in 4wd. My machines are a strait shaft from one side to the other. In otherwords no differentials to let on tire sit and the other spin. I belive there are some out there that you can lock the differentials. Get a 5' blade, dont mess with a 4'. Get a windshield and heated handgrips. When you instal the blade, take the cutting edge off and take it to a welding shop for a pattern. Have them build you a new cutting edge that is about 3/16" by 3" out of high abrasion steel. If you try to use the factory cutting edge you will burn it off in about 3 hours. These midified cutting edges will get you through several storms before needing replaced. The best blade I have come across is Cycle Country. It seems to have heavier pivot pins, and trip springs. Use a winch to lift the blades. Run the cable down the back side of the winch spool to the plow. If you run the cable over the fairlead on the front of the winch it will break and you will be out there in the dark tying a knot. I also mount a board below the windshield to cover the space between the bottom of the windshield and the front rack so that the wind will not blow onto your knees and legs so bad.
    In my area an ATV is more effective in small bank drivethues and small parking lots because we usually don't get anymore than about 1"-4" of snow at a time. If you clean walks up and down mainstreet in your local area you can make a huge amount of $ in a short amount of time. We do about 10 - 15 walks on mainstreet in our small comunity in about 15 minutes. This translates to about $150.00. We also actoully cut out curbs and other obsticals on larger parking lots for my pickup so that I'm now bouncing the Boss blade off of as may things.
  3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

This will be my 10 th season using one. The ATV is where I got my start. If you have a lot of small driveways or hard to access areas, you will really like one. I run an Arctic Cat 400 4X4 with a 5' ploy blade & modified cutting edge & electric engine block heater (plug that baby in at night for easy starten in the morning). Sounds like it is a similar set-up to Makndust with the winch assist & cutting edge. I personally do not have a windshield on mine, sounds like a good idea. Like trucks you have to know when to trade them. This is probably the last winter on this model for me. Time to get a new one, no depreciation left in this one. :waving: BOAST