1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV'S vs. Snownlowers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dakotaplowboy, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

What are your opinions on ATV. vs. Snowblowers. Snowblowers are cheaper. A reall good snowblower runs about $1,000 to $1,200, but it would seem to me that a good ATV with a plow on the front would be a lot faster for sidewalks. I am looking at a 400 cc Hond Rancher ES 4x4, Costs about $5,300. Of course you can still use the ATV all year for fun. Any opinions. Are there any real down sides other than cost to the ATV.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

snowblower will not make any big piles, the avt can't really stack that high IMO from what ive seen
  3. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

From what you've seen? Were your eyes open? LOL :sleeping:
    I used to plow my driveway with my Arctic Cat 500i. I had snowbanks plowed with that at least 6' high. With the low floatation tires, you can just drive the four wheeler right up the bank as you plow.

4. LB1234

LB1234 Member

I can tell you the major difference that sometimes people don't take into account...

Turf repair at the end of the season. Our Toro 3650 with the rubber paddles will run over the grass if we happen to hit it. It may scalp it a little but nothing bad at all. By spring you'd never know we hit it.

On the other hand the ATV's (we don't own em/use em) that are responsible for the apartment complex sidewalks (we take care of entrances, exits, & parking lots) can't make the right turns at the corners. They wind up having to turn onto the lawn. And they usually tear some of it up. Also, they hit that lawn all the time on the straighaways and while stacking it. Makes for a pain to fix in the spring. But they really don't care because we fix it every April...lol payup payup payup
  5. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Well LB I suggest you keep recommending those ATV guys and keep charging large for the sod repairs...lol
  6. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Went and bought a second snowblower today. I think I am putting the ATV plan on hold for a while. Now lets see some snow so I can go make some Dough!!!payup
  7. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

We use ATV's for salting..works great for those wide sidewalks at the Malls & Strip center shopping places.. also beats the heck outa shoving that heavy Azz push spreader around.

P.S. Add a wind-shield works great :)