1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV's, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pasto_guy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I was looking to get an ATV with a plow for some of our larger accounts (for the walkways). Is there a great time savings vs. snowblowers? How about damage to the turf or walks? Would really like to buy one for multiple reasons including taking my little guy out on weekends, but need to justify it to myself before I commit to it. Do any of you use it during the summer months for mulch/spraying/ect. Thanks for your comments. Might as well tell me what you got and if you like it.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

its better then walking at a slow pace in the freezeing cold imo
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Plowman's right. I'd rather get them done in a hurry than be out in the cold for hours. Oh, I forgot, that's what my sidewalk guy is for! LOL. Also, an atv is much more fun to play with in the snow. :drinkup:
  4. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

I bet you would save tons of time using a ATV w/plow and it would be alot cleaner than a snowthrower. Think of the fun you can have!
  5. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

well I guess my mind is made up. How do you transport from property to property. Will the atv with the plow sit in an 8ft bed?
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You should have plenty of room. Might have to leave the tailgate down but I doubt it. :drinkup:
  7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Get the ATV, you will love it compared to the snowblower. Do a search on here, lots of guys use them. I would think about getting a small trailer, the ATV with the plow on it seems to load on that better than in the back of a pickup. The plow yoke seems to get hung up on the ramps. BOAST
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

they do an alright job depending on the situation. I think most guys justify buying one becasue they have other uses(and they are fun :cool: ) I definatly wouldnt buy one just to do walks more than likely
  9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Actually an ATV can make you as much money as your pickup if the conditions are right. I started out by going door to door in my neighborhood and telling my neighbors that I will do their bulivard walk for $5 when it snows. Pretty soon I'm doing about 20 walks in about 10 minutes. Lets see, thats about $100 in about 10 minutes. I'd love to find something that payed like that for 8 hours a day. You guys get a lot more snow than we do, but we have about 50 accounts (primarily walks) that we do the 3-4 ATV's. They are 10 times faster than a snow blower. I Charge by either the hour or by the walk. We run Polaris 400 Xplorers. They were the last of the big 2 strokes. Now if I were to buy a machine it would be a Polaris 500 HO or a 600. Stay away from the 700's because they are snapping the drive belt if you horse them too much.
    Another place where a couple ATV's make a pickup look silly is in small bank drivethrus. You can manuver so much faster. If you get a blade get the 5' long model.
  10. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Glad you replied to this, I think he will be happy with the ATV when he gets one. If you have a lot of small lots & driveways you can really make some quick money! BOAST
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I do not have an ATV but several guys I know have them. Their only complaint has been the cutting edge wearing out quickly. Keep a spare on hand....
  12. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Thanks for all of the advise. I went to Polaris dealership today. I'm going to get an 04 Polaris 600. Great buy just a little over $5,100.00. It's brand spankin new. Please don't tell my wife :nono:
  13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I never was a big fan of Polaris. They run great but the seem to break more then any other bike i know. And not to mention they are a maintenance nightmare. 7 different fluids to maintain and something like 15 zerk fittings. And with all the fluids and zerk fittings they seem to break allot. Oh take one word of advise stay out of the deep mud unless you like to change the wheel bearings and brakes. I learned the hard way. Oh ya i have a 60 inch (thats like 5 feet) plow on my 300 cc Kawi and I have no prob plowing even the wettest snow. Good luck....Rob
  14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

and one run the urethane edge on your ATV plow?

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i have a atv with a plow and it works great . for wide open areas that too small for a truck
  16. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I run yamaha atvs . i have a grizzly, a brand new bruin and a big bear 400 all 4x4 with cycle country plows and they are great i recommend yamaha quads i have had the grizzly for a while with no problems at all.
  17. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Replacement ATV Plow blades

The experience I've had with cutting edges. Lets see where do I start? Take your factory cutting edge off because about all it is good for is a template for getting one built that will last. Take it to a welding shop and tell them that you want some AR (abrasion resistant) material 1/4" to 3/8" thick by about 3" wide by the lenght of your factory cutting edge. Then have them punch the square holes for the carrige bolts. Then go order some grade 5 carrige bolts and locknuts. If the shop doesn't have a punch strong enough to cut the holes have them weld the bolts right into the cutting edge. The edges are a little tougher to install this way because usually the steel warps a little but it can be done with some clamps and mabey some vice grips.
    Also check your blade mount on the atv to make sure that The bolts are staying tight. Lots of times you may have to go to a grade 5 bolt here also. The soft bolts have a tendancy to stretch under the pressure of the blade.