1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV's for plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rotten, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Rotten

Rotten Junior Member

I own a Polaris 700 ATV and will be putting a blade on it this Fall. Originally, I planned to just use it for my personal use. Now, a buddy of mine (who plows with his back hoe) said that he understands that I could make some money with it, clearing parking lot edges, sidewalks etc. Does anyone have any experience using an ATV in this manner? What size plow would you suggest (48, 54 or 60 inch)?
    Thanks in advance
  2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Depends upon the width of the sidewalks you're dealing with, do you have grass on one side of the walk or both, etc. We use a 48 inch Warn plow for a 48 inch sidewalk with grass on both sides of the walk. One man on an ATV can do the work of 10 shovelers if not more. I still know guys who use shovelers for sidewalks. We're already at the donut shop while they've got an hour more shoveling to do.
  3. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Here's a picture of my setup. This shot was taken right after the so-called blizzard in 2005. The machine had no problem pushing 2 1/2 feet of snow. Notice my tires. They're the key to success in big snow.

Blizzard Plowing.JPG
  4. Blackwin

Blackwin Member

I have had good luck using my ATV to plow.
    I am using a Polaris 600 Twin with a Glacier 60" plow. I use the winch to raise and lower the blade.
    The only problems I have run into are when plowing very wet snow. The bike will only push so much snow. :D
    I do tend to play around a bit when using the bike. Climbing snowbanks, spinning donuts etc.... :yow!:

DSC00053 (Small).JPG