1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

atv

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tinkenboutit, Oct 11, 2009.

1. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

I have a chance to buy an ATV at a good price. The seller states that it comes with a bill of sale only. Do ATV's typically have a title or is bill of sale enough?

2. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I haven't owned ATV's in a couple years, but they didn't come with a title, even new. They came with a "Certificate of Origin" instead.

Here in MA, you don't need a "title" to register an ATV. This was copied from the MA recreational vehicle website:

1. Bill of Sale (name and address of seller)
    2. Proof of payment of sales tax (ST-6, ST-6E, or Bill of Sale). Note: To pay your sales tax online, visit the Department of Revenue website at https://wfb.dor.state.ma.us/WebFile/WSI/Public/WebForms/ST6/RecreationTaxDefault.aspx
    3. Serial Number (ATV- 17 characters, found on the frame)
    4. Required fee-- (See fee schedule below)
    5. Properly completed and signed application.
    6. If the ATV or snowmobile is purchased new, a copy of the "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" is required.

3. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Since I have no idea where "Zone 5" is, as listed as your location, I can't tell you what you'll need. Go to Google and search for "(Your State Here) ATV registration". Should be able to find what you need.

4. tinkenboutit

from zone 5

It is 1995 Yamaha 400 Kodiak ATV 4x4 - $2500. I am in Iowa.

Thank you GPS.

5. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

you need a regustration. you dont need a title but you have to have a registration.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

In Maine all you need is a bill of sale to register an ATV.

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

well i kno in this wonderful state of ny you need to have a reg idk in other states

9. tinkenboutit

from zone 5

Just in case any of you wondered, we checked with our County Recorder and when the vin nos. were run, it had indeed been registered in 2001 about 90 miles from here. The guy selling it, has to back track to this guy who registered, get him to sign over, and then get it inspected so it can be retitled. Apparently, at least in 2002, when the registration expired, then so did the title.??.
    I ended up buying a 2005 Polaris ATP 500 4x4 with 1500 hours, for $3000.00. Then another $500.00 for the 50" blade with hand lift. I think I'm going to get the grader blade for the back. I think I have a lot of uses for this machine.
    :) My neighbors and Grandchildren just think it's for riding up and down the alley on. (which is illegal I believe.) :rolleyes:

Problem is that if the Cops showed, everyone would go in their house and act all ignorant whilst (spIs that even a real word?) I explained to the cops why they shouldn't give me the ticket. ussmileyflag

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

thats why you have to be faster getting away