1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atv ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cyclone101, Dec 1, 2007.

1. cyclone101

cyclone101 Junior Member

I have done plowing but with bigger equipment snow now I am stuck. I was thinking of getting a ATV in fact it is

a 1994 Polaris sportsman 400 4x4 with plow and electric lift for $2000 do not know the miles or the body condition just saw it in the papper today....any thoughts on this.

Back to the question- how big of a lot would be do able for this type of vihicle. I gues what I am looking for is I could have a chance for a MIDAS or a small bowling alley is that something that could be pulled off w/ a FEW driveways with just 1 ATV and shovel.

Remember just starting out. The 2 companys would be coming from a guy I know wanting to get out and would be abletohand a few accounts to me just don't the $$$ to buy a rig or his rig

Any help would be great and thank you.

2. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

A bowling alley or a midas :dizzy:. How in the heck are you going to scrape the pavement with an atv??? No downforce. Get a skidsteer for godsake!

You show up there with an atv and they may laugh so hard you'll be embarassed for the rest of your life. You may have to move. :eek:

:)

3. cyclone101

cyclone101 Junior Member

Well ok then.. I gues those would be to big of lots then. So put some weight on the blade to have yr down force and would be better for the driveways and sidewalks Now I have the scraping taken care off what about the rest of the ATV. your thoughts?

I would love to get a skidsteer but with out $$$ you just cant get very far any more.

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

for one you will freeze youarse off and 2 whats you back up if the polaris goes down? id say find a good running old truck and plow for a bout $3500 and go that way. an 04 sportsman is very likely to be worn out. the bussings and what are prob shot unless replaced.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

my problem with an atv

around here , snow or not, its not street legal and they wont let you on the road, and to trailor it is rediculous... no place to park a trailor....

6. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

What are you going to do it you get a bunch of snow and the atv won't handle it? Do you have a back up of any kind so your not getting called to plow and trying to tell them that you cant do it because you don't have the right equipment. My brother has an atv and you would not be able to plow long/wide areas with the atv if there is a lot of snow. Just my .02 cents but I'm not trying to talk you out of it because the atv would work well with smaller driveways. Also...if you wanted to add weight to the blade, it might be too much for the electric winch, but what we did was put a 3/8" thick by 3 1/2" tall cutting edge on the blade and it will help to a point.

7. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Would a 150 cc $900 new atv be okay to plow about 20-30 residential small to mid drives?
    Or would it be better to purchase a $900 2-stage thrower? I'm thinking that the atv with plow would work much faster on moving the snow but then I'd have to use my trailer which could be tricky on ice, may require snow chains or something?

8. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Troll!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:jester:

9. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

Plowing with an ATV is useless. They don't weigh that much and they cant move that much snow unless its a few inches... Not to mention unless you are completely locked good luck even getting through 10 inches of snow with out the plow, nevermind pushing snow. This is my quad:[​IMG]
    its a 2007 suzuki king quad 700cc,it weighs about 700 lbs DRY! its got 27 inch ITP Mudlite XTR's (6 ply radials). Its got selectable front locker and selectable 4wd. Last year I had it in about 12 inches of snow and I had to winch myself. If I had a blade on there I wouldn't be going anywhere prob would have made it 5 feet outa my garage. If your looking to make money by means of snow removal an ATV is not really worth the hassle. Like stated above, you have to trailer it around. Buy a cheap plow truck or a snow blower. PS the majority of ATV plows are manual angle also.

10. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

150 cc? lol first off you are not going to find a 4wd atv rated at 150 cc, the smallest production 4wd is 350cc. Trust me I have 2 quads, a 4wd and a 2wd, the 2wd's are light and get hung up real real easy. Get a snow blower if only want to spend 900 bux, or a used plow. (assuming you have a truck). 20-30 driveways is a lot of driveways. I mean unless they are all right next door and a single car driveway. But if theyre all over the city and you have to trailer or pack up an ATV to each driveway your better off waiting for the snow to melt.

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

my balls are freezing just thinking about plowing those types of lot's with an ATV !
    anyway spend the money on a truck with a heater . you wife will thank you in the long run .

12. cyclone101

cyclone101 Junior Member

Ok I get the idea now... I will start re-thinking about this. thanks for the help