1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV.......Write Off?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by moneyclass, Dec 7, 2011.

1. moneyclass

moneyclass Junior Member

Any accountants out there.....so can you write off a ATV if you use to plow driveways and make money?
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

of course, but you can only write of the parts that you use for buisness, trying to write off expenses in the summer will lead to bad things
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Not as long as you have a tank sprayer that you mount on the back for spraying weeds.

100% write off.
  4. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

I'm Inc so I can use it as part of anything. Cost me five bills and life is one of company first and last. I pay myself a couple grand a month to pay for smokes and idiot stuff and all tools and whatever are company.

In your case as unincorporated, same would apply however, you relay have to show that the intent was there to earn money so the government can tax it and make money off of it. Hence, ou need to be prepared to show advertising costs, customer usage, associated costs like sand and salt as well as some log books etc.

To make it short - yes. But be honest, don't do the drives and then pocket the money. Give the government their share.
  5. irv

irv Senior Member

i wrote mine all off in one year through my shop.--irv
  6. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

Back in 2004, I bought a brand new ATV with plow and winch. I own a 3 family house and was going to use it to plow the parking area in the winter and a little playing in the summer. My accountant would only let me claim the price of the snowplow setup and nothing else.
  7. PSDnate

PSDnate Junior Member

I was able to write mine off. I also use mine year round. I pull a rough cut mower behind mine. Of course I don't use it just for work. But no one else needs to know about that!
  8. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i wrote mine off too for lawn and snow
  9. 450foreman04

450foreman04 Junior Member

I own a side by side duplex. Live in one side and rent out the other. I was able to transfer over my atv that I already had and the new plow I bought after I bought the duplex. I could only write off half as I live in one half... But the accountant said it was the way to go.
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im with his guyThumbs Up

Im Inc everything is a write off 100% somethings takes few years to write off