1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV with V Blade

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Elwer, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Does anyone on here have a V blade on there ATV? Im in the middle of making one, and I need some pics of the center pivot point.
    I know it would probably of been easier to buy one, but heck I had most of the material, and what would a little challenge hurt!!!
    Thanks, Matt

2. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

if you due a search on ebay right now for cycle country there are a few v plows posted on there for sale. they have some pretty decent Pic's in the adds for the V plows. There is a couple on cycle country's home page but you can c more on the ebay add's at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120205186655&rd=1

that is the add, It is only 2 hours from where I live so I might take a flyer on it and purchase it. I recently got a set of Cycle country Push Tubes given to me, and I have a honda 300 4x4 sitting around doing nothing and the V-plow would work great on side walks and be a backup to my Honda Foreman 450S that sports a 60" Moose blade. It is great till on the side walks for the 1st half the year and then it gets into trouble cause I now have snow banks on both sides that I can get the snow to roll over from the blade.

Also I have this on my Foreman Moose blade as well,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290183337113&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

it is pricey but does a decent job of giving me down pressure on the blade for back dragging.

works good in powder for back draging and in medium and heavy stuff it's OK just have to make a couple passes's back draging is all still beat's having to shovel by hand.

sublime out.

3. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I dont have it any more but I had on 03 polaris sportsman 500 with a polaris v plow on it. Ill look 2 see if I have any pics of it arround

4. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

The one that I am making is going to go on a 400 rancher at. The total length is projected to be 68'' in straight position and around 62'' when in the V. Thanks for the help so far, I just hate the trial and error part!!!
    thanks,
    Matt

5. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Id like to see it when done. Ive thought about making an adjustable V for mine.

6. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Im going to be posting some pictures tomorrow morning, this takes alot of thinking to figure out how the blade pivots, especially since i have never payed any attention on how they work!
    Matt

7. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

I'm posting some pictures of the progress so far for my brother because he doesn't know how to post them!:rolleyes: The first picture is of the blade in V position just sitting infront of the atv. The second picture if of the front view of one section and the third picture is of the pack view of one section.

V Blade....jpg

V Blade...jpg

V Blade..jpg

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Looks pretty slick so far!!

The truck v-plows I own are pretty simple, I'm sure you could scale it down for the ATV, maybe using some off the shelf pipe. Each piece (left wing, right wing, and center framework) has two pipe "ears" welded to it in an appropriate location along the center joint, so they all stack neatly and get a solid pin thru them all. The pin is retained at the top with a flat plate and bolt. It really doesn't have to be anything complicated, just strong welding is essential!

9. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

At the beginning i believe i was trying to over engineer this thing:rolleyes: Hopefully by tomorrow i will have the whole thing completed:drinkup:well except the paint work, and on that subject is there anything to do when painting to help prevent the snow from building up, except for using FF before each snow storm??

10. sublime68charge

11. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Nice Work !!

12. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I have the exact plow that is pictured on that website and it's mounted on my Brute Force 750. If you'd like any pics (better or specific areas) just let me know. It's a Cycle Country and two of it's weaknesses are 1) the cutting edge wears out pretty fast and 2) the two angle adjustment bars are very weak and will bend. This isn't as much of a concern if you run in the V position as there is less stress on them, otherwise, they're weak.

The one that your making there, Matt, looks much stronger and more durable than the Cycle Country. The cutting edge alone is a great improvement. I pretty much ruined mine last year in a storm by letting the cutting edge wear down into the plow :eek: Otherwise, you can't beat a V on an ATV for sidewalks IMO :cool:

13. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

I got a 1/4 inch wear bar on this one, with a piece of 2x3 angle behind the blade, so once it starts to wear, it will eventually have a half inch wear bar before i have to replace it, :rolleyes: but i bet that wont happen in the too near future.wesport
    My only problem is i dont think my 4 wheeler is big enough:rolleyes:welp that means more new toys:redbounce lol
    also the arms to position the blade are goin to be made out of 2x2 angle iron!! Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt cycle country only use flat stock for there blade positioning??

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  14. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

here is some more progress pictures
    Everything is just vise gripped in place for now, i am waiting on my pivot pin before i can finish this!

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  15. sublime68charge

Looking good so far,

My only problem is i dont think my 4 wheeler is big enoughwelp that means more new toys lol

you should be able to push through alot with the blade in the v on the first pass through most things and then just angle it and take smaller swipes to widen out where your plowing.

I know on my Foreman with the 60" Moose I have had to leave it raised up 4" and plow the top layer off and then lower it down and due the bottom half. Though I never "nowaday's" dive into a snow bank/plowing path with it raised all the way up as then if you get stuck your chances of backing out are not good.

Though I thinking some tire Chains will due wonders also for traction.

I know it did on my Foreman.

16. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have used a v plow on a steiner tractor before and they work great. I thought about making one for my turf tiger or putting a snow blower on the front of it since it is a pto deck.

are you using a electric motor to turn and lift urs?

17. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

I plan on using a winch to lift it, but to angle i'd love to have it powered by electric, but it the old fashion way, got to get my lazy but up and move the blade, Maybe next one though:dizzy:
    also i have swamp fox tires on my 4 wheeler, so im not to concerned about the traction, I just dont want it to sag like a chevy does with a V blade, thats why im wondering if mine can hold it, but i'm thinking it will work out fine!

18. the intimidator

the intimidator Junior Member

I would not want to be running that blade on the 400 rancher. I ran a 48" blade on my 04 400 and it ate the tranny up within half the season. I ended up having three tranny's put in (under warranty) before I sold it although It also had 3360km's on it and around 250 hours. I also had a problem with the shocks wearing out to the point it would sagg around 2 inches up front and 1in the rear with out the plow on. The main problem with this machine for moving allot of weight is the gearing is not set up right, get on a foreman stick it in first and then get on the rancher in first and see the difference you will get up to 10kmh or so on the foreman with a med-high rpm and you will be doing 30 or more on the rancher in first gear turning the same rpm's. The rancher is just set-up for trail riding and general use the foreman line is made with heavy duty parts and is more set up for the work. Think about it like 4-low vs 4-hi in you're truck same thing between the 400 rancher and the foreman line which is going to be more reliable over time the one idling along or the one that you are using 3/4's throttle and only moving 5km'h. You may also have problems with it getting really hot I know that after finishing that laneway even at -10 it would still be running very hot I ended up wiring the fan up to a switch so I could leave it running, turn it off, (if I was going into deep water) or leave it factory switching on-off by temp worked out slick and it never got so hot after that.

Here is another thought if you find the 400 is sluggish and lacking power after you try it out switch it over to the 350 hope it's 4x4? I bet that won't have as much trouble pushing the snow and should last longer too no hyd tranny. I wish I could make things like that I would have loved a v-blade for pushing the lane when the drifts built up good work :)

It has held up ok to plowing and somehow held up to the punishment of the rock's and mud that make up most of the trails. It is a strong unit just not strong enough. Just finished pulling out 30 hedges with it in the pic
    [​IMG]

pushing 6" snow with some small drifts 8"-1 foot you can feel it on the machine but no problems pushing that stuff.
    [​IMG]

nice and clean well one pass left, took me apx 25 minutes to get the lane and parking spot finished it is around 800 yards long 12 or so feet wide
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  19. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I have heard that Lucas Products (found at some farm & tractor dealers) has a Slippery Paint conditioner that I think is added to the paint of your choice to make the surface more slippery. It is used for loader buckets, plows, dump beds, etc.

Nice looking fabrication job on that V plow !!

The second link that Sublime68charge posted early on this page looks like a nice lift mechanism....much better than a winch. If you do use a winch, a short strap set-up like SnowBear now uses is much better than cable.

20. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

Intimidator...I believe there is a big difference here. You are in canada where you get a lot of snow..we are in nw (snowless) ohio! We do not get as much snow as you do. My bro is workin on the blade in the shop now so i'll go over and try to get some updated pictures for ya''ll.