1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atv Transmission

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by dano87, Dec 14, 2008.

1. dano87

dano87 Junior Member

I have a sportsman 500 and i am thinking about getting a snow plow, But i dont want to get a plow if it will screw up my transmission. Does plowing screw up your transmission? I am just thinking that pushing snow and constanley going back and forth will mess up my transmission. Just let me know what you think. Thanks

2. dadam

dadam Junior Member

As long as you use it in low gear it will be fine.

3. the_experience

the_experience Member

I just got in from plowing with my 500 Sportsman. You will not hurt the transmission one bit. In fact, I would venture to say an automatic will show less wear from plowing versus a manual because it has a wear part (the belt) that absorbs the loads and shocks. Expect to go through belts a little more often, but they're pretty cheap for Polaris machines. You will be surprised to find how much performance a slightly worn belt really zaps from the machine come spring when you put the new one on. Also, as was posted above, use low gear all the time. There is no reason to use high range. Low range is capable of doing 30 mph and you shouldn't be plowing faster than that anyway. The only other thing is to make sure the engine RPM's drop to idle before shifting. You'll know if you don't be the nasty grinding it makes.

4. dano87

dano87 Junior Member

Thanks that helped alot

5. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I have 2 sportsman 500's I plow with the 96 and it has1,500 miles and I beat the crap out it when I plow It has held up great. I never plow in low gear and very rarely in 4x4, and it is great.

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I only use low when I have a lot infront of the blade. it is like plowing with a truck dont put it in reverse before your stopped and vice versa of you will screw it up

7. the_experience

the_experience Member

I don't know what people have such an aversion to using low gear. Here's the deal. In low gear you will be putting HALF the strain on the belt, primary, secondary, crankshaft, and gearbox input shaft. HALF the stress, people. Using high range doesn't make your balls swing any lower. It just prematurely wears and stresses parts.

8. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

I agree!!!;););)

9. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

And it takes 3x's longer in low to plow the driveway, I usually plow at 20-25 mph on my long drive. 12 years on the machine of plowing like that and no problems

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

:drinkup: and the gear whine will drive you crazy imo

11. dadam

dadam Junior Member

As an MSD certified polaris tech your clutch sheaves will look like hour glasses. If you like your equipment in good working condition and dont feel like replacing expensive parts just keep it in low

12. dano87

dano87 Junior Member

Thanks everyone
    I think i am going to stick with the guy that is a tech he seems to know his stuff and i meen i am going to be doing small drive ways so i cant go that fast i am just hoping for some snow now

Thanks

13. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

What gear whine??? I run low all the time on two machines and never heard any gear whine.:confused::confused::confused:

14. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

I'v plowed for 2 seasons on my Polaris 500. I very rarely use high (only when I need to windrow). No problems with the trans, and the belt is still in good shape.

15. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I would use the low range for plowing unless your doing a long drive and want to have more speed. for rolling the snow off of the blade.

sublime out.

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Plow in low range and you will be fine JMO. I have never had any probablems with my transimtion.

17. Pjslawncare1

Pjslawncare1 Member

As the other guys said low is a necessity. I have an 08' sp500 and i plow 18 drives per snow storm and you're right, it's a lot of back and forth but as long as you're not grinding gears and easy on it, it should be fine. I often wondered too if I was just tearing my sp500 up by plowing that many drives....I ended up buying the extended 4 year warranty to cover drivetrain. Hope this helps....good posts everyone!

18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I usually don't plow in low around here we don't get dumped with snow often. I have used at my camp up north before though. Your tranny will be fine atvs are made to take that kind of abuse

19. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

:D Keep the idle rite down where its supposed to be and you will have no grinding, gets a little high and they will grind.:D:D:D

20. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

like others have said as long as you stop before shifting you should have no problems