1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Strobe Lights

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by hondapro4004x4, Aug 24, 2009.

1. hondapro4004x4

hondapro4004x4 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Hi i own a 2006 Honda Rancher 400 AT. I have a 50'' Moose plow with chains on all 4 tires. I have been looking at putting some strobes on it for a while now. I was thinking about getting the ones that you install on the inside of the head/tail lights so that they can be seen from all sides of the ATV. Is this a good idea or should i do something else?

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Sounds, good just have to make sure to keep the power supply dry, unless you get the weather proof one, or your better option might be leds.....

3. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

most police atv's we have used leds on.

4. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

strobes are nice but if the connections get wet they wont work, also they will put off alota heat and could melt the headlight houseings. iv seen strobes in backup lights on pickups and it melted the houseings. also youd have to get a potted(sealed) strobe supply.

id suggest leds. there warrantyied for 5-7yrs. they draw less power, and dont produce little if no heat.

i have 12 led lights on my wheeler for plowing. 2 to the back + a 12" led stick that has 4. i also have 2 faceing forward, and 2 on each side.

5. hondapro4004x4

from Vermont

thanks for the help guys. and chuckraduenz do you have a video of your wheeler with the leds because i would like to see what they look like in action...thanks

6. chuckraduenz

7. hondapro4004x4

from Vermont

thanks for the pics ..... do the LEDS flash like the strobes or do they just stay lit??

8. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

they flash very nicely, you can change flash patterns...etc

9. chuckraduenz

the ones i have are steady burn if you hook them up to 12v. but i have a flasher wired to them that has about 15 flash patterns. 4 of them have a flasher wired to them, 4 otheres have one pattern in them. they flash when power is applyed. the leds i have arent made no more. they have been replace with the new style ones that have the patterns built in. mine are 911ep led stars. but the whelen tir3 is a great led product. they have patterns built in. its just a matter of wireing power and ground, and setting the patterns. or you can go cheaper yet and find a knock off china brand. but my 2cents are go name brand usa made.

10. chuckraduenz

11. chuckraduenz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in the next week think im gona have to take an up todate video...

12. hondapro4004x4

from Vermont

thanks everyone i think that i will look into the leds i am still a little shady on the whole flashing part but i think that i'll figure it out
    but plz make sure you post that video

13. hondapro4004x4

from Vermont

oh srry i forgot to add to my other reply....r the LEDS hard to install?? thanks

14. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

no, they are very simple.

15. chuckraduenz

fairly simple. most leds have a flange that goes around them and then it one screw on each side. you can either used the wood type screw with them, or get machine screws with a nut and mount them. if you need help just let me know.

then it just find an area to add a switch, and run wires to the leds.

ill get a video this week.

16. hondapro4004x4

from Vermont

okay thanks...just one more question.....do these LEDs use much power because i will be useing them when i plow and i use a winch to lift a 50'' blade and i dont want my battery to die on me

17. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

LED's use very little power

18. chuckraduenz

about 1/2 - 1amp ea light

19. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Where did you buy the LED's from? Does anyone know of a kit that includes all the parts? That would be a great thing to have avalable on the market.

Toggle switch, flasher selector, wire, connectors & 4 lights for $19.95 + s&h.

20. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

that'd be a perty cheap kit!