1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Salt Spreader...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NJ Plowman, Dec 6, 2007.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I want to mount a removable, small, 12volt salt spreader to the back of my Polaris quad. 50lbs capacity for use with rock salt is fine, with a simple on/off switch mounted to the handle bars. I want the max spread width to be 36 inches.

The machine currently has a Cycle Country 48" Plow with electric lift solenoid w/handlebar control and handlebar mounted angle control. I have a Meyers 36000 salt hopper on the back. Obviously the current hopper is way to big (but it was lying around so we used it). I want to replace it with one with the above specs.

Anybody have any pics or specs on any ATV mounted salt spreaders? Installation photo's? Mods?

Thanx... :drinkup:

2. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We bought a little one from Cabelas, it is intended to be a grass seed spreader but works great with rock salt.

It can mount or unmount in less then a minute and holds a 50lb bag easy.

We use it for salting sidewalks at a large mall.

The only pic I have of it right now is below but if you want any more pics I can always go take some more.

[​IMG]

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Herd Spreaders
    www.herdseeder.com

Most amazing (made in america) well built, beautiful pattern spreader around
    and the same price as that cycle country POS spreader.

4. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I know you are asking for something smaller, but this is a pic of mine. It has a switch to start and stop the spinner PLUS it has an electric solenoid to open & close the "chute". Since it's a broadcast spreader, I added the rubber sides which also keeps all chemical off of the machine.

You can get more info from a previous post...scroll down and you see my setup.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=32388&page=4

Brute Force 01A.jpg

5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey SK,

Yes, I would love to see a few more pics if you could...

6. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

HI there.
    I'm in Toronto(Canada)lol.
    I bought one from a place called Princess Auto in MIssissauga. It holds 80lbs of salt ,and it cost me $88.00
    I works great! dont have a pic,but if you go onto their website you can see a pic.
    tymusic

7. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

A Herd seeder will fling It out too far close to 40'...unless you make up some kind of deflector

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Wow, 40'...a 3 to 4 foot spread is fine!