1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Rate for sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MD Power Plow, Aug 22, 2005.

1. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

I was thinking about charging buy the hour for the ATV or should it be a flat rate, The ATV will also be helping the truck cut in the curbs. any input would be great.
    thanks

2. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I charge $40.00 per hour per machine. If I pull 2 ATV's onto a job its 80.00 per hour. We clean all the walks for the school system in our town. It's all on one campus and it takes 3 ATV's 1 hour so the walks alone are $120. It takes the pickup 2.5 - 3 hours. Last year the pickup was at $60 / hour. That seems to be the going rate. This year it's gonna be either a $15.00 per hour rate increase or a %15 fuel surcharge. I don't care wich. All I know is that I can't do it for $60 per hour anymore.
    Back to the ATV's. You won't believe how much it saves your pickup and blade when the ATV's can cut out curbs ahead of the pickup. I figure it makes our pickup about %20 faster on a job with a lot of obsticals.

3. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Makndust
    This helps me a lot the rate is real close to my snow blower rate so I might keep it the same price. I also have another post about what kind of ATV is a good (cc.,brand). If you have any input that would be great.
    Thanks

4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

MD Power Plow

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. As far a ATV's are concerned it ran all 400 Polaris 2 strokes. I know that some people don't like the noise, smoke, etc.etc., but I will say this, they will start every time no matter how cold it is. Polaris quit makeing the 400 2 stroke. Whatever you do don't buy the polaris 400 4 stroke. I guess that they are a real dog. I have a friend that uses a 500 polaris and he really likes it. I thing that they all are pretty good. Stay away from the 700 or 800 Polaris for plowing snow. I guess that they are putting out so much power that when you have them under load, (pushing a plow full of snow) and goose them a little it tears that lifetime warrenty Polaris drive belt right in half. If it were me I think that I would go out and buy a 500 Polaris, a windshield, thumb and hand warmers, and a 60" plow. I only say that because I am the most familiar with the Polaris line. I don't want to start a brand bashing here. When you get the 60" plow, take the stock cutting edge off and use it for a template. Go to a welder and ask for some 1/4" thick AR steel about 3" wide and 60" long. Drill the bolt holes and throw it on the plow. It accomplishes 2 things. It gives your blade some weight so it won't hop during high speed plowing, and also it will give you some good cutting edge life. Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Tim H.
    Makndust