1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetalsandPines, Jul 30, 2004.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

I need a machine for 3/4 of a mile of commercial sidewalks... They are wide sidewalks, only problem is they are along a major route that will get quite a bit of windrow from the municipal plows. What setup will handle this type of abuse, remember I am in Buffalo NY, where 6"-12" snows are very common. Will these machines get right down to the concrete? (most, if not all of the sidewalks end in a parking lot area) What happens in say February when everything becomes hardpack? Will these plows go through the stuff thrown on to the siderwalks from the city plows? And my most important question....I have to keep emergency doors open around the building, I will have to drive over grassy areas in the snow to get to them, will the atv's get to them if there is 1,2,3 or 4 feet of natural snow? Thank you for your help...ps lot of wind and drifting in this location.
  2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

I would go with a polaris with their V plow. I suggust ploaris because they have a different plow mount that works more like a real plow.
  3. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I had a chance to see a 4 wheeler work up close and personal at a large mall last year and I wasnt inpressed. I'd actualy never buy a 4wheeler to plow with. You have other options...a good size lawntractor will push a blade or run a blower and will cost a lot less with a lot less headaches. A skidsteer will do an excellent job, especialy if you have a broom, it'll take up black ice hard pack anything...and you can run it half on the sidewalk and half off and you dont have to trim curbs anymore, you have 2' of bare pavement before the curb. You do need a decent operator though or they'll trash the broom and they aren't cheap
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I haven't met an ATV will drive through 4' of natural snow unless it is packed or frozen, unless you have a track kit. An 4x4 MIGHT go through 3 feet. Your best bet would be to keep a plowed path opened to these areas.

I don't have much experience with plowing with an ATV but I image that like everything else, once the banks reach a certain height, your path width will start to shrink. I'd suggest a snowblower. One that is wide enough to do the path in one pass. This may mean using a riding tractor or even an ATV mounted snowblower. It'll be slower going, but you wont have a problem with shrinkage.
  5. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

For what you are looking to do I would look for a regular snowblower or a skidsteer. I would stay a way from ATV with a plow. From what I have seen ATV plows only work good under the right circumstances. Like never touched powder. They have a hard time handling a large quantity of snow.