1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by caz41, Apr 15, 2005.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

Anyone here use a polaris ranger or similar type of machine for a plow set up. Thinking it would be nice to have the versatility of an ATV, with the comfy seat and enclosed cab. Yet be able to take it into the woods and play a little. Just a thought...

2. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I have two buddies that put plows on their machines (we all have same machines) and are impressed with their capability. Would I try to plow a lot with it? Definitely not! Sidewalks or driveways? Yes!

Kind of depends what you want to do with it.

Jeff

PS We have Honda Ranchers (2WD ES 350 models). I would get a Rubicon or Rincon 4x4 next time. More power and selectable 4x4.

3. caz41

caz41 Member

not looking for general atv plowing, just wondering if anyone has put one on a Polaris Ranger or similar machine. (not sure what kind of machine they are classified as)

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I used a Polaris 500 six wheeler with plow last year for sidewalks and the thing is perfect for that. You lock in all the wheels and you can push a ton. Mine is a 2000 with 230 miles on it and a winch and Moose plow and I am selling it for 4800.00. Using the money for an long overdue Camaro restoration! :nod: If interested call me at 920-819-4536. Machine was used very little.

5. caz41

caz41 Member

Is that just a six wheeled atv, or the ranger with the cab?

6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

It is a six wheeled ATV.

7. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I know Bobcat has an ATV pickup like the Kawasaki Mule. Is that the same as the Polaris Ranger? Just saw an advertisement for one in the Bobcat mailing my friend had. It was mostly on the toolcat, but had something in there about the pickup thing.

Jeff

8. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

A buddy of mine bought a Yamaha Rhino, it has a 660cc motor mated to an auto tranny that has high and low ranges-reverse-neutral-park, 4wd with selectable locking front diff. He bought his with a 6ft plow and after the first snow and then an ice storm he bought a Western 2000 model sander and then made mounts to distribute the weight between the hitch and the bed (just can't use the dump with the sander on). He used that for a couple of snow falls and didn't like the cold so then he put a full cab on it, mounted a 12V heater, mini light bar on the roof and then put a SMV sign on the sander so he can drive it on the road.

He uses it for his drive and his business parking lot, and also a couple res drives. I tried it once when I was at his house and it was pretty sweet!! I think that it could give my Jeep a run for its money, and maybe even do better since its turning radius is so short :rolleyes: . I was debating about getting rid of one of the 4-wheelers and buying a Rhino. I am going to wait and see how good of a summer I have......

9. caz41

caz41 Member

Thanx team yamaha, do you know what kind of plow he has on it? I am still throwing around the idea. How do you feel the power was for pushing snow? I really don't know if it is worth buying or just getting another plow truck would be the answer. I just feel that the versatility of one of those utility rig's would give me some nice all around uses for it.

10. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

caz, he has a 6ft Eagle plow, he also got the power angle option with it, let me tell you it was nice not having to get out and manually angle the plow like on my wheelers. But maybe I am just getting lazy. I felt like the Rhino had more than enough power to push the snow, and when I tried it out we had 12" of wet heavy snow. All I did was hit the 4wd button, put it in low range and go. The day before I tried out the Rhino I was plowing with the Jeep most of the day, and I think that the Rhino (with the extra 1000-1200 lbs in the sander and other extras) could push just about as much snow as my Jeep.