1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mikekle, Nov 12, 2008.

1. mikekle

mikekle Junior Member

I have had clients of mine ask me about plowing thier driveways and walks this winter, Obviously a truck would not work in this situation, So I thought about an ATV with 4WD to do this. I will probably be doing around 20-30 clients.What size engine should I get for this,I was thinking at least 400cc and NO automatic tranny types! Is there a certin minimum amount of snow before you go out plowing? I assume somewhere around anything over 2" Anybody else using atvs or small 4WD tractors to plow driveways? I want to go the ATV route mainly because it would be cheaper than a compact tractor and probably much faster! thanks for any input.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a 500 4x4 with a 60" plow and plow about every 4 to 6 inches. An ATV can plow 6'' with no prabablems.

3. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that plowing 20-30 driveways with a four wheeler will make for a long and cold night. Do you have a way to transport the four wheeler or small tractor? If I was in your situation I would ether buy a plow for an existing truck that you have or you can find a good used plow set up for less then the cost to set up a new four wheeler with a plow. Also driving a plow on city streets may also be illegal where you live, I know it is here.

Freddy

4. mikekle

mikekle Junior Member

I have a dodge 1500 4X4 so I can tow the quad or tractor around.Around here if you are plowing snow for profit they let you drive around when your not really allowed.I agree, doing 20-30 clients will be a LONG night/day,but think of the payday! I am charging $50.-$75. for the average driveway and walks.I have a really warm pair of coveralls and good warm boots, so I should be OK. A 4WD tractor with a heated cab would be nice but you have to move ALOT of snow to make that purchase practical!

5. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

I still think you should look into a plow for your dodge, if you shop around you can find a gently used or new plow for 2000-3000 dollars and buy a good walk behind snowblower I recommend a Honda, you will be much more efficient and be able to expand your business into a commercial market as well if you have a truck.

Freddy

6. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

i have plowed for 2 years with an atv i started with a honda recon 250 2x4 with a homemade 38inch plow. the biggest storm we had last year was 6 inches and it plowed that no truble and no extra weight or chains. i was plowing about 25 driveways each storm and really it isn't that bad i dress warm and i enjoy doing it. this year i have a honda rancher 350 2x4(would have got 4x4 but i got a steal on it)with a 44 inch bolens plow i made a custom mounting plate for. i think this year i should be able to plow 12 inches without chains however i will use ballast and if needed i will put on the chains. this year i am hoping to do around 50 driveways a storm. it is me and my friend so we have two fourwheelers running each storm. i swear by honda atv's and will never own another brand i have owned others in the past before but hondas are extremely reliable. they aren't as fancy as other brands but they also hardly ever break if you do the proper maintnence on them they will last you a lifetime. i do just fine plowing with 2x4 atv's but others with 4x4 dont understand how it is possible i really don't think it is a huge difference but in certain situations yes the 4x4 would be great to have

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya you are much better off with a truck.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

atv is like 4500 5000 put a plow on your 1500 sound like a better investment

9. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Almost seems to me if you didn't want to put a plow on the truck a small utility tractor would be a better deal for that kind of scratch ($3000). I don't know how much it snows in Kentucky. Could find a small utility tractor, think J.D. 318 used w/ 2-stage 'blower-ballasted/chains or small 4x Kubota etc., would be more productive. Could maybe even find a cab. More versatile the rest of the year as well. More productive/faster than ATV. That being said nothing beats putting a plow on your truck.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. pby98

pby98 Member

i got my rancher for 2100 used and bought the plow used for 50 bucks and the winch was 200. so i have 2350 invested. there is good deals on atvs out there you just have to look hard