1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mid Rivers, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers Junior Member

I am thinking of purchasing a Yamaha Grizzly or Honda Rincon for small Commercial and residential snow removal. I am wondering how well they work. Do the cleam well? Are the blades heavy enough to remove the snow (and ice)? 48" or 60" blade?

Thanks for the help

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i have a yamaha grizz that i got just for that reason, to plow sidewalks with. it does cleans pretty good, nothing that a little salt wont melt. im using a rubber edge instead of the steel one, cleans much better. i put a 48" blade on my grizz, just the right width for a standard sidewalk. will they clean ice? probably not, they are not heavy enough. i also mounted a curtis salt spreader on the back of mine. any more question feel free to email me. i have pics of my setup, just click on "my photos" below.
  3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have a 2001 Kodiak with a Warn plow and it rocks for sidewalk clearing. Anything beyond sidewalk usage and you are better off with a truck. They start around $4000 used with plows. You want to make sure you have a 4x4 rather than 2 wheel drive.
    My Kodiak cost me $7000 and I use it strictly for sidewalks at commercial accounts.

Ice that has been treated will peel up, but no plow will peel ice (with any kind of effectiveness) off a surface with which it has bonded. I believe my blade is a 48" blade if I am not mistaken. As a matter of fact, I am going to buy a polyurethane edge for it this season and I appreciate the reminder. :)
  4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I see Yamaha mentioned many times on this site. How about Honda's? Reliability for Yamaha vs Honda? I looked at a Honda Foreman (450 cc) and Rancher (350 cc).

How big of a urethane edge does one put on the ATV plow? (thickness and height).

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I was told by 3 honda dealers not to work the rincon that hard..... that it wouldnt handle it.... the 4th dealer said sure useit it should be ok...

My friend uses the honda forman es to plow and loves his.

I too am looking for a 4x4 quad for sidewalk work.
  6. Triple Amp.

Triple Amp. Junior Member

I purchased the a 2001 Honda Rubicon 500. It is an Automatic and is made for working. It has the Hydraulic Transmission which automatically changes torque where and when it needs it. I feel this would be a plus for plowing. It also has ESP(electronic shift position) so you can shift it into the 5 different gears it has instead of using the Automatic. Also has low and high gears and much much more. This thing is incredible. Nothing stops it. I paid 7000 for it brand new. Keep in mind that Hond is very well known for outstanding performance on there products. I researched them for about 1 1/2 years before I actually chose Honda. They have the best reputation for reliability in the worst situations. The one thing you want to make sure of though is that that they have an awesome service department. A product you buy is only as good as the service you can get from it with the dealer. I hope this helps.
  7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Have always owned honda will never go to anything else. Had a polaris it was crap. Yamaha is comprable to Honda but if you put them side by side and compare chassis and sizes you can see the Honda is made of a thicker tubular steel in the parts that matter like the suspension and a arms. I will not evn get into Kawisaki there new stuff is ok but anything else s***s. I had a 95 Honda 300 2x4 and that thing would push snow like no other 10 inch storm pushed it with ease (if you know how to use it). I would say that any quad with four wheel drive will handle a plow. Put some counter weight on the back and your set. Another thing I did was make a post that went from the rear rack to the axle to put all of the weight on the rear axle and tires instead of the shock which would absorb too much of the weight. If you want to do small comercial don't even bother with a fourwheeler. You'll need a pick up to get it there unless it is real close. And it gets mighty tiring riding one of those things back in forth in the cold.
    Just my .02 cents
  8. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers Junior Member

Thanks Eric, I have a 1999 1/2 ton Chevy Z-71 but I do not desire to put a plow on it.

Has anyone else heard this about the Rincon (don't work it that hard)? Was that a Honda dealer that said that or a dealer that others (Yamaha, Kaw......) or a dealer that had Honda's and others?

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.
  9. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

1 dealer who was hoda only.
    2 were multi-line dealers....

On the honda forman my friend has the only problem he has had is with the drum front brakes.

the honda rincon is the machine that honda just came out with this year that is supposed to compete with the big bore atv's (grizz 660, prarie 650, polaris 700, etc...) if your going to do any kind of trail riding in the non-winter months there are alot of things to look at. i use mine a good bit thru the summer months recreationally so i bought what i thought would be the best "bang" for my buck. the grizz 660 is probably the best all around machine for work/play. if your going to go with the honda i would suggest the rincon, not the rubicon. my buddy that lives in kentucky that i ride with has the rubicon and isnt real happy with the trail riding capabilities and speed/power of the machine. he is usually the last one in the pack while trail riding. if your only going to use it for work/plowing then that changes everything, you dont really need a big bore quad, a 400-450 cc would work just fine for alot less $$$. just make sure you get 4wd or you may, no you will, kick yourself later. if you want anymore info feel free to ask. atv's are one of my biggest hobbies so i will try to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge.
  11. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers Junior Member

Thanks for the help. i am leaning towards the Yamaha Grizzly with a 60" plow. Any and all input is appreciated.
  12. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 400 and it is a monster with the plow. We have a 48" Cycle Country plow and we love it for sidewalks. It even works great for cleaning up betwee parked cars and tight corners and what not. I love the Polaris line up because they are not chain driven, they are shaft driven. Most guys in this area use Polaris.
  13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Snojob, you'd want a 1" or 3/4" thick U edge. Definitely the "voice of experience" (you).... That's the only "bad" thing about ATV plows. The steel edges wear out fast IMO.

just something to think about. if your going to use it on any sidewalks most of them are only 48" wide and a 60" plow at full angle is about 54" i think. could tear up some grass. ideally a 54" plow would be the best, at full angle about 48". warn is the only manuf that makes a 54" that i know of. my 48" kimpex works great on your standard sidewalk. saves alot of time versus guys with shovels or snowblowers.