1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SLAMllc, Nov 17, 2005.

1. SLAMllc

SLAMllc Junior Member
    from CT

I am thinking about adding an atv for clearing sidewalks as snowblowers tend to be too slow for us. I have never plowed snow with one and the blades on some of the ones I have seen seem like they wouldn't hold up very well. For you guys using atv's what kind of plows do you use. More importantly I am looking for a used atv to start and do not know how many cc's I would need. I know "the more the better" for power and weight but how much engine is really enough for the job. Also a rear mount spreader would save a lot of time on the ice melt, any preference on these? thanks

2. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a Polaris 700 Sportsman with a 48" Glacier blade. I purchased the Polaris because it was the heaviest ATV on the market. The blade is very fast and easy to take on and off. I've used it for two hard winters on primarily brick sidewalk. I haven't had a problem with the blade. I did add a heater to the engine block due to really hard starts in cold weather.
    I use an Agri-Fab tow behind spreader that has a 175lb. capacity. I've seen the spreader at both Cabelas and Northern Tool.
    The only downside that I've found with the ATV is that they are not very agile.

3. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I have a Polaris 330 Magnum with a Warn 48 inch plow. The plow is operated by the Warn winch. It works fine and plowed well even during the so-called blizzard that we had last year. The plow is a full trip and is not flimsy at all. I typically beat on the machine and plow with no problems. Polaris machines are very heavy. In addition, I like the way the transmission selector is set up. Some say that Polaris is made for plowing. All I can say is that my setup works great. If I had to do it over again, I would get something in the 500 range. The 330 is okay but I find that sometimes I've got the throttle pegged all the way to push large amounts of snow.

4. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

i used a honda foreman 450 with a cycle country 60" plow and worksaver spreader. then i kicked myself for not buying the cycle country spreader . the foreman is air cooled with a heated carb which provides bulletproof technology and instant starts in the coldest temperatures, as well as extremely low maintenance. it provides more than ample power. if you are looking at a used one, buy an 02 or newer with the selectable 4x4...this was a huge improvement for the foreman lineup. the entire bike is purpose built as a work vehicle and is as nearly unbreakable as any atv could be. its work ethic outshines ANY other atv...however...with this outstanding performance there are sacrifices...it doesnt ride quite as smooth as a fully independant rear suspension rig like the rincon or the polaris'. to me, thats a miniscule price to pay for all the advantages it brings to the table. i added a weight bar to my plow and used a warn 3.0 winch to lift it. i would strongly recommend replacing the cable with either 6' of plasma rope, or 6' cable to reduce the chances of the cable getting bound up. the worksaver spreader is junk....and not particularly cheap. the cycle country spreader uses a large amount of poly parts to keep rust to a minimum and work great. i got 1 season out of my $400 worksaver spreader before i had to have it completely rebuilt. highlifter.com sells all sorts of aftermarket goodies to beef up the suspension if you go with the heavier setup like mine. i plowed with 28" mudzillas the last season but the 27" mudbugs got around the best in snow and are very reasonably priced. no offense to any other atv manufacturers...but noone can argue with hondas reliability.

5. RAYJAY

RAYJAY Junior Member

Used a 360 kawasaki 4x4 for the last 2 years for grass cutting and snowing plowing

the blade i used is american eagle quick mount 50" country blade
    (looks like a state truck plow )
    with a winch to lift plow
    I could plow 3-6 inches up hill with the atv
    as for tires i used the dirt devils tires god lugs not to luggie

for this year I upgraded to a kawasski mule 4x4 60" country blade with a winch and a cab with a heater .
    the mule is a awsome work horse owned atv's most of my life and hands down the mule beats them

Jeff

6. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I'm running a Honda Rincon 650 with a 5' Kimpex Blade. I find the 4' blade (when angled) doesn't go out pass the tires, and it falls under the tires, makes more mess than good, plus takes longer to plow an area.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I used a Polaris 700, nearly a half ton of machine with the plow and me on it. More power than I could use. In fact my wifes 500HO had plenty of power, I have heard people say the 400 Sportsman is borderline in the power department. My plow was the Polaris 60 inch, and it was not wide enough at 5 feet. I was always going to add 1 foot wings to it, but I never got around to it and now its gone. I much preferred the old style plow to the Glacier. My plow had undercarriage that went all the way to the rear and attached to the tow hitch, so in reality you were "pulling" the plow, not pushing. My blade was made for snow or dirt, so no worries about strength there.

8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

We ran 4 Polaris 400 2 strokes. They are very adjile and have plenty of power. The 2 strokes started in the winter better than anything out there. Now I would buy a 500 or larger Polaris, (only because I am familiar with them). We pushed 60" blades (2 cycle country and 2 Polaris) I liked certian things about both brands. The biggest thing is to lift the plows with a winch, put a REAL cutting edge on the plow. We use 1/4" thick by 4" AR steel. We got good life out of those blades and they added a little weight to the plow. Use grade 5 bolts for the cutting edge, and the undercarrige mount. Otherwise you stretch the soft ones too much.
    We used to handle approximatly 45 commercial accounts and about 12 residentials all with 1" triggers.
    The first 1/2 hr at 3AM is fun, but the next 11 1/2 hrs is nothing but work.

9. SLAMllc

SLAMllc Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the info guys, It seems like I should take a look at Polaris machines. I think with all the replies here just about every size polaris was mentioned. I know Honda's are supposed to be rock solid so maybe I will look there too. Lots of different plows in use out there I see, but got some good info about that also thanks again. Anyone selling an atv now?

10. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

SLAMIIC - check your pm

11. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

SLAMIIc: You're not set up for private messages so my pm didn't work. I might be selling my ATV/plow setup. If you're interested, email me.

dboone21@earthlink.net