1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alpine692003, Jan 9, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

I was considering getting an ATV and plowing with it and get a salt spreader on the back..

i think an ATV would be very useful for walkways, driveways, pathways...

Any of you guys used ATV's before?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  2. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i once used a atv for plowing. make sure that it has 4x4 and is liquid cooled because if u dont have these things ur pretty much wasting $.not to say that you cant plow with out the liquid cooled or the 4x4 its just goin to be alot of strain on ur machine. if you are goin to be doin sidewalks ide look for a v plow. you can drive alittle faster than a straight plow.

good luck
  3. alpine692003

Ahhh, thank you..

I was considering getting the ATV for walkways, small parking lots, salting..

I was using only a snow pusher and broadcast spreader to do the above work, where an ATV could replace it!
  4. JOEC

JOEC Member

Buy it. We use kawasaki 650 awesome machine with blades. Don't buy anything less than a 500cc machine. But don't bill hourly. You will get it done alot faster than you think.
  5. alpine692003

Kawasaki eh?

I was considering a Honda 4x4!
  6. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

The Honda, Kawi, and Suzuki will probably be your best bets. I am partial to those 3 brands anyways :) They all make excellent machines that will work just fine. An ATV is much faster than a blower, or shovel, but will be no match for a truck and blade in a parking lot. Anything larger than a 2 car driveway and the truck starts pulling away from the ATV in time to completion. Also, transportation of the ATV is a concern. Loading it into a truck bed is cumbersome in the snow, and a trailer is also a burden. I have experimented a little this year with combinations of truck, atv, and blower for my residentials. My fastest times so far are Truck and Blower. Followed closely by ATV and shovel. Biggest drawbacks on driveways is the blade is really not heavy enough to backdrag cleanly. They really shine on sidewalks though. You can pretty much drive about 7-8 mph and clear a walk in one pass. Thats what I do with my Honda Rancher with 50" Moose County Plow anyway. I have found that much over 6" will really load the machine. I have plowed 8" on a walk with it, but you could hear it grunting. It did make it though.

7. Mower For Less

Forgot one other point, although I like the Honda, my next plow quad will be one that has a forward reverse shifter that is quickly accessed. The Honda, with there push this red button, pull the brake, downshift past Neutral scheme really slows the process down. Look for a quad that you can go from Forward to Reverse quickly, with one shift.

8. alpine692003

I see, thank you ..
  9. cc2004

cc2004 Member

We use a bigbear 4x4 with a 54inch state plow for our sidewalks.
    We also put oversized wheels and tires to get it up off the ground another couple of inches.
    We have no problem at all getting up on to the sidewalks,over snow banks,curbs etc.

ATV is the way to go (for sidewalks)
  10. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Polaris 600 sportsman is awesome for plowing. Going from forward to reverse is quick. The plow can't take a beating like the blizzard does though.
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Mower for less,

I dont know when the last time you saw a honda but they are no longer that way. Im refering to the bigger quads like the Rubi. I personaly use a 300 cc kawi and it does just fine. Its not a water cooled either and it does a fine job. But if I was to go buy a quad just to plow with it prob would be a Honda. Even though my personal quad is the 650 Pairie and it is an awsume choice in a quad. I just feel the Honda runs better and starts easyer.......Rob
  12. Mower For Less

Sorry, did not mean to exclude all Honda Quads, I do know that there newer, bigger quads (esp. those with the HondaMatic trans) have the shifter I am reffering to. I was just putting the warning out there about the smaller and older quads as a point to consider. I still love my Honda and think it is an excellent and very reliable machine.

13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

most walkways are 48" arent the atv's to wide?

An ATV would be great for my drives, because about 80% of them are 8x75 or so. However, I dont know how it'd be having to haul a trailer around in the snow/ice.

Who hauls them around with open trailers in the snow and how does the trailer handle?

Oh and how easy is it to install the plow's to the atv's, and when you angle/raise/drop the plows is it electric or manual?

sorry for all the questions.

Thanks guys!
  14. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

I have been using an ATV for 3 winters now and have some tips.

1. when plowing don't go balls out! take your time because hitting a rise crack or curb can and will do damage to the plow and mounting hardware. just like a previous post, plow at less than 10mph.

2. if you have back to back accounts, keep the atv running when going from one account to the other.

3. purchase plenty of extra hitch pins and key pins for the plow mount. maybe even a sping or two.

4. if you're going to haul in the back of a pick-up, make sure you do a couple of trial runs at loading it. depending on the age and or height of atv, it may or may not get caught up while loading it. may have to take of tailgate.

5. get a windshield

6. come up with some kind of way to carry a shovel and possibly an ice spade on the atv. i use pvc inverted on the back of the atv just in case i miss some areas the atv can't get to.

hope this helps.
  15. Mikelandscaping

Mikelandscaping Senior Member

I use a 300 kawi it works great using a moose plow. The only problem with mine is that i have rough paved driveways and it dulls the blade up quick
  16. Mower For Less

The sidewalks I plow are 60" wide. You might want to double check your sidealks to make sure they are not bigger than you think. I would recommend staying under the size of the walk to give you a little error margin from end to end so you dont tear up the grass.

Hauling a trailer is not to tough, but it is cumbersome, and you cant really do it effectively with your plow vehicle, unless you plan on hitching and unhitching at every stop, and that can be a major PITA, not to mention time waste. You will get your drives done faster with a plow truck & 7.5' blade. The ATV is really a benefit on sidewalks. It can handle driveways, but will not likely save you any time unless you have a really irrigular drive that the truck cant manuever in. I think I would prefer an open trailer for the snow. I currently use an enclosed trailer, and notice snow gets packed in the lip of the door, and makes it hard to close. An open trailer should help with this.

Plows are easy to mount. Usually just a few U bolts to bolt to the underbody. You can get manual or electric lifts. I have seen electric angling setups, but they are expensive and rare. Usually they are manual angle.

17. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

I have been plowing with my 98 Foreman 450ES 4x4 since it was new. I love it. My plow is a 60 inch moose straight plow with a 2500 warn winch. It does a great job on driveways and sidewalks as long as the snow is not really wet and is under 6 inches. Any thing more than that and the front end of the quad wants to push to either side.The rererse is super easy on my ES. An old trick that I have found is to wiretie or ziptie the reverse cable on the bottom of the transmission . By doing this it keeps the cable pulled at all times, so you never have to push the red button again. This is much easier and less tiring. I have also installed ITP 589 tires all the way around and that makes a huge difference with transaction. Since 98 I have made more than enough money to pay for the Quad. The only problem I have ever had with this quad is I had to just this year replace the choke cable....
  18. I got an Arctic Cat plow and warn winch combo for my Arctic Cat this Christmas and I got to use it for the first time last week. Wow, was it cool for the sidewalks! I was done in 2 seconds! It's a 50'' blade so it's not too wide for sidewalks and won't 'edge' the grass. It handled about a foot of snow very well. I have some pics on my digi camera of my new toys.

Oh, BTW, those atv's with the red button you have to push while squeezing the brake are a pain! My uncles Honda is like that. Mine just has a lever that has a F or R. Simple. And simple is good. :)
  19. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Polaris has a sweet plow set up check it out on their web site.
  20. alpine692003

Polaris for the atv?