1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Plowing

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by ericash25, Nov 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ericash25

ericash25 Junior Member

Last year I bought a 1999 Yamaha Grizzly 600 and a cycle county plow for it. I know in Pennsylvania it is illegal to ride ATVs on public roads but I was wondering if it still is if it is for snow plowing reasons. Last year all I did was go up the street about 100 feet to a neighborhood but this year i was looking to go up to a bigger neighborhood about a quarter to half a mile down the street. Last year I did not see any cops so that is why I still do not know. If anyone lives around the same area I live in Downingtown about an hour outside of Philly. Thanks.

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

May want to give the DMV a call and see if you can register it and get it tagged. I personally have no idea regarding your state and local laws.

3. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

You might also check with your city hall, our town allows golf carts, atv, and utv's on the roads within the city limits as long as you have insurance and pay a $15 permit fee.

4. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

When its snowing and you have a plow on the front of your atv, I don't think anyone will think twice about what you're doing.

I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I would worry about it. lol

Call your local PD or DMV for the real answer.

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

7. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

These guys will know more about it than me since I just plow for fun :D but I think you need to follow local or state laws concerning warning lights, insurance, and business licence if you're plowing for money. I've followed all our local laws concerning permits for year round street driving and added a few things that aren't required for UTV's like turn signals and extra tail/brake lights.

8. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

9. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

10. ericash25

ericash25 Junior Member

11. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Found this site if it pertains to your town, I'll have to keep looking but the one section does say this so they may be a way to drive on street for snow removal.
    http://ecode360.com/6452240

The definition of ATV excludes golf carts, construction machines, utility vehicles used for business operations, agriculture, yard work, landscaping, snow removal

12. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Damn Mike, you're doing a lot of research that the OP could/should have done himself. Kudos to you!

14. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Thanks, hell I'm new on the site just trying to help if I can and learn along the way.

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Very nice of you. Keep it up.

16. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

It really depends on your local cops... I know where you are located and they maybe a little bit more picky than here... You will prob be fine but dont wanna tell you that for sure... Id call the local pd and ask them if with a snow storm they would allow short travel to help neighbors out..

I took my atv about 2 miles down the road here to get gas for it and wasnt worried about it considering I was having a hard time traveling on the road in 4wd let alone everyone else