1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Plowing questions!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by topdogdad1, Oct 7, 2012.

1. topdogdad1

topdogdad1 Junior Member

Ok guys, i have a few questions. I recently purchased a Yamaha Grizzly wesport, so i want to put it to you use this winter to make a little extra cash. With that in mind, i was thinking just picking up a few residentials with long driveways and such to handle solo (live in Philadelphia so not too many of them).

So some of my concerns/questions...

Do i have to venture in different type of insurance for this specifically? or can i just do this like i did shoveling as a kid lol

What would you charge for something like this? and what things to consider when having to explain this to a potential client

A friend of mine linked me to another guy he knows who has offered me an opportunity to plow for him using the Grizzly, and would pay 25-35 per hour depending on the site, but sounds rather low when i account in loading quad into the truck, traveling to each location, plowing the site then getting home or traveling to multiple sites(then also fuel costs) or does my first idea seem to be better to just do a few on my own.

When i try to weigh my options, if i do it privately for only a few, i don't want to pay a rediculous amount in some kind of insurance to cover damages that could "possibly" happen....but also thought hey just tell them i'll remove the snow and salting is on them unless they say they want me to want me to salt then i know there are those possibilities of sue happy people ussmileyflag that could claim i didn't salt properly and they took a slip and fall because of my error.

ok well those are some concerns, any input at all is greatly appreciated. thanks guys, hope i didn't take up too much of your time. i want to utilize this Grizzly and make some money, but with 3 kids, working as a police officer on the 11pm-7am shift and the wife working too, just trying to figure out a way to make a little extra and make it work. payup

2. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i use my atv for plowing out residential accounts and for sidewalks. i been on my own since 1990 and also working fulltime.
    i would try to get some accounts where the people are retired and dont have to be plowed out as early as the commercial ones have to be. or contact local realitors for homes for sale that need plowing.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

start small do a few driveways in your neighbor hood with your atv then you will get bit by the snow plowing bug and buy a truck and pick up more and more
    i plowed driveways for 5 years now i have finally purchased a truck to plow even more

4. taonola

taonola Junior Member
    from Arvada

I am thinking of doing the same thing, is there any type of price structure that you would suggest? For a smaller driveway what would you charge?

5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

You have to think about the really big storms and how you can differentiate youself from the plow truck drivers that are out there. You wheeler wont be able to stack snow as high which could be a problem if you get a large storm or late in the season when a snowbank that youve created isnt moving because its frozen in place. You need to account for your time that you would possibly be going back to certain residences multiple times to clean up or keep up with a big storm. Most of us have the equipment to tear away a frozen snow bank piece by piece using the plow due to the size and weight of them and the vehicle combined but this would ultimately be a little difficult for the size and weight of your wheeler an plow. For instance if you were to have a regular 12" storm, which isnt unheard of, i can usually do one run which might take 10 minutes tops and then a clean up run of 5 minutes if its needed. Id bet you'd be back at that residence at least 3 times to try and keep up with the storm and the clients needs. Not saying that'll happen with every storm as a wheeler has its place but understand that the time needed for a 5' blade to clear driveways could amount to 30 minutes or more. Time is money in this business, especially when you have the schedule of working the overnights. I too am a police officer and do this on the side to fund my jeep projects. Im used to a screwed up schedule as im sure you are but for me I can knock out my 10 driveways in about 2 hours on a heavy storm and be done. Id think that you'd be at the 3.5-4 hour mark with the use of your wheeler. Just my two cents.

6. taonola

taonola Junior Member
    from Arvada

That makes complete sense, Thanks for your thoughts.