1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ChemicalAlli, Nov 2, 2007.

1. ChemicalAlli

ChemicalAlli Junior Member

Anyone with experience in residential plowing with a poweful ATV? any opinions? i know it wouldn't beat have a coffee holder, heater, and the radio. However, it is cheaper, which means it could be paid off quicker, and it has great maneuverability. This all i think though, i have no real experience since i'm a noob. Any talk would be great. Thank you.
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i have doubts that it would be cheaper. i also have doubts that it would be efficient. i also have doubts that it would do the job if you have a big storm. depends on the purpose of the atv and what type or how much plowing your doing.
    if your doing your own driveway and dont have to transport it. and if you get the atv cheap i see how it could work. if you like the idea of it for recreation then it would have another purpose. also would keep you from have a plowtruck sitting on your property year round even when its not snowing.

just my two cents.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

My neighbor used to do our driveway with his Yamaha Kodiak with a 52'' blade in about 10 min. Our drive is 2 cars wide and about 100ft long. We have an upper drive that is the same length but only 1 car wide, he would do both when it snowed 4'' or more.
    Actually he did all the drives in our neighborhood, about 5 houses, in the country all set about 100-150ft back, he would do them all in about an hour.

Your right they dont have a cupholder, but he always came in for hot coffee :)

If I dont end up with a truck plow this winter, I will be getting one of those 60'' V plows for my 650 MAX XT. :)
  4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

id get a skid steer before i got a 4wheeler...but get something with a lot of power...and how will u be gettin this around
  5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I have one just got the plow, but I think it will probably be good for driveways.
  6. scottcoda

scottcoda Junior Member

it can work

i lived in long island but had property in the Adirondacks so i had a four wheeler to play with.. i bought a plow for it for my own personal use and had no intention of using it to make money but i found this to very profitable.. the driveways in the area are small and difficult for plow trucks to get into ..this is where my atv made a killing.. i could pull in about $800.00 in 2 days during a larger storm .. doing small gas stations and larger store front side walks and of course peoples homes..but this is a very populated area so i did not have to transport the ATV, i just put a sign on the side and front of the ATV and a battery operated led strobe to get peoples attention and slowly drove up and down each street..i had a police officer pull up to me and talk to me...they did not like the idea of the 4 wheeler on public roads but i had insurance, helmet, and i was not driving like animal so they let me be...i guess my point is depending on where u are you can make a good amount of money and have a fun time doing it as long as the police do not mind
  7. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Also it's legal to drive tractors on public roads. Isn't a quad with a plow more like a tractor? At least you have brakelights then. Maybe not IDK.
  8. ChemicalAlli

ChemicalAlli Junior Member

Thank you gentleman
  9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think its illegal to drive a tractor on the road. They go by my house every day. They just can't go on the highway. During the winter I drive my quad all over town plowing sidewalks. It is worse to drive on the sidewalks for a couple reasons. One, motorized traffic is not allowed on sidewalks and two it packs the snow so it is harder for the people to shovel their sidewalk.

It will work for driveways, but it will put wear and tear on your quad.
  10. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

i bought a new sportsman 500h.o. in 03 with a v-plow got some acounts on my own then did sidewalks for a bigger plow company and had my new toy almost completly paid for in one season. the amount of snow an atv can push is mindblowing! there has been times where i have been pushing piles higher than the atv itself.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  11. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

The law here says ATV's are legal to operate on the streets as long is there is a plow mounted on it, and it has a slow moving vehicle sign mounted on the back. Tractors are the same, legal as long as there is a SMV sign.