1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

atv plow trip springs?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by revdwg, Feb 13, 2010.

1. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

i made a plow for my outlander 800 and i need some heavy springs for it. i got the springs on it now but they are not heavy enough. it seems to be tripping all the time. the blade is a 60" i was wondering what would be a good springs for it?

2. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

you could just get like a heavy duty truck spring and cut it to fit.....i dont really know just an idea

3. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

What do you mean by heavy duty truck spring?

4. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

like a heavy duty truck

3500 dodge ram

350 ford

3500 chevy.....etc

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

please refrain from posting info you have no clue about.

revdawg, check with most any atv dealer, they can order them. Or you might find that with a little fabricating skills that a garage door spring (found at Lowes) can be made to work. They sell them according to door weight so the heaviest set they have will probably work.

6. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

hey atleast i tried to help

my bad i said it was an idea

7. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

do you guys think that trampoline springs would work>?

8. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

they could....but not that well

9. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

atleast i dont think they would

i forgot that i could of edited that in

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  10. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Just use the same ones but add one or two more. I widened a 48" blade to 72" and added one more spring. Trampoline springs are basically the same so they can work too. The required pull may be more or less than required but just add or remove springs as required. Let's see pics when you get a chance too.

11. ALC-GregH

from pa

trampoline springs WILL NOT WORK. I'm not going to repeat myself.

12. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

i got a set of black plow springs for my home made plow. but they were way to strong, so i ended up going to fleet farm here. to get 2 lighter springs. well that worked but i added another in the center.. it worked perfect. well as for the black springs i got them off ebay.

i did a search for them. but had no luck. but there are these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOOS...612505QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

13. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Not trying to be a smart ass, but why not? I never directly compared the ones from our trampoline to the ones that were on my cycle-country blade but they looked similar. I just found a 3rd one to install in my hardware/junk box and it was heavier so I installed it in the center of the blade.

14. ALC-GregH

from pa

how can a 6in long spring possibly be long enough to get pulled on a trip and not get stretched past it's usable length? The trip springs on my plow are twice that long and double the diameter.

15. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Ah, OK that would be right, I know our springs were not that size.

16. 92ramcharger

92ramcharger Junior Member

I hate to disagree but I've been using these for over four years now, tripped the plow too many times to count and they still work great.

[​IMG]

17. stayscool

stayscool Junior Member
    from Pa.

Check out cycle country's replacement springs. When i refurbished my plow the newer springs were heavier stock than the older ones.

18. RBurns237

RBurns237 Junior Member

I spoke to the company who sold me the plow system, I explained to them about the tripping problem and they called their warn distributor on my behalf! I was told the following... they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix as we speak. It was explained to me that the springs that were sold with the plow system were not made to manufacturing specs in china and after their first trip they loose the proper tension.

I was told that they will send me a new set of springs with greater tension which would be a temporary solution for the time being and which would prevent the blade from tripping.
    I was also told that in a couple of months, i would receive another package from warn which would be a more permanent fix to the problem as their engineers design one.

Now is all of this BS? Who's to know as of now. But time will tell and what choice do I have... they refused to give me a refund... So, I'll have to just wait and see.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone having the same problems so i can compose a little data base so as this issue continues we are speaking with one strong voice and not a bunch of whiners! Please contact me by e-mail directly to be added!

Respectfully,

RJ Burns
    RBurns237@aol.com

19. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

i ended up using engine bonit springs

20. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

im starting to think that my blade is tripping so much cause where the blade mounts to the push frame. it seems to be up higher. giving it the extra leverage? how high up on the plow does your push frame attach. i might have to lower it down more