1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atv plow repair? Pics and questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JimL, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JimL

JimL Junior Member
    from Indiana

This one has me a bit stumped.

Guy wore the old edge down to the bolt holes. Put a new edge on with a filler on the back to get him through the winter.

Thing is the plow on the left side has so much curve to the moldboard the nuts on the cutting edge bolts are already dragging the ground.

He wants it repaired, where there is some meat below the bolt holes, how it was factory, and also remedy the nuts dragging!! :D

My idea, the original edge is a piece of 1/4x3 holes drilled in the middle. I was thinking of getting a piece of 5/16-3/8 by 3 or 4 and making a new edge, but drill the holes closer to the top of the edge instead of the middle. That would cure the nut dragging issue. Would work or am I off my rocker?

I am not sure how to go about fixing the issue of the moldboard being ground away though? It and the support behind it are maybe 10 gauge material?

Thoughts? Ideas?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i would prob have a steal shop cut me a repair strip and punch or drill the holes needed. then weld it to the back side. also weld it to the front face as you do this to hold from both sides.

then grind the front face smoth to hold a new wear strip/edge and use some new longer bolts to hold the new face on.

otherwise tell him he needs a new blae if you dont feel its worth your time or energy. its not your problem he went past the point of no return and trashed it. its a $$$ lession he will have to learn the hard way.

and if you change the length of the wear edge by moving the bolt holes it will make the blade trip much faster on smaller objects . kind of like adding a longer pry bar to move a smaller object. way to easy.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011