1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

atv plow and batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HLS Wholesale, Dec 10, 2002.

1. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

I saw on another thread somebody mentioned that the plow usage tends to drag down the battery. I just purchased a Honda Foreman 500 and put a Warn plow with the actuator for lifting up and down. Does anyone have experience with these and should I expect a dead battery soon? I just don't want to be idle in the middle of a snow storm. I'm also getting a winch just in case, but do any of you carry spare batteries?

Looking for some experience here.

Thanks

Dan Norton

2. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

hoyboy -

I too just bought a Honda Foreman. I've been looking into the electrical draw of a trynex 375 micro pro spreader. We use a manual lift on the plow (I think it's a little easier/quicker and more "idiot" proof then a winch). I was told that the 12 to 15 am draw that the spreader motor draws under load should not pose a problem on the ATV with either the 25 or 35 amp alternator. Since the alternator on the ATV is designed primarly for accessorries you most likely won't have a problem operating the winch for your plow, depending on the draw. Check the specs on the winch.

Hope this helps a little.

Doug

3. josterhout

josterhout Junior Member

HI there:

I have a Arctic Cat 375 with a 5' cycle country plow and electric lift. I have not had any problems with the battery running down when useing the plow, and alot of times I am plowing at night with the lights on as well. A friend of mine has a Cat also and he uses a winch for lifting the plow and he does not have any problems either, hope this helps you out a little

Jeff
    Michigan

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have Sprortman 500's we use for walkways & Ect we sold all our winch plows for manual V-Blades, the reason for we use it 6-10 hrs and that tiny battery only will hold up for a couple of hours. If you are doing your own drive or plowing very little get the winch but if its gonna be used alot like we do be prepaired for battery falure. You could link another battery to make a dual battery set up thats what one of our subcontractor did to his Artic cat when he devoloped the same problem as us, his works ok with 2-batteries.

5. TRINITY

TRINITY Junior Member

Winches and Electric actuators are two different ways to lift the blade. A winch will drain your battery if used repeatedly or for long periods of time. That is why the electric actuators were designed. You should have no problems with battery drain if you have the actuator. Warn, Cycle Country, Moose, and Quad Boss all make ATV plows and all have actuators available to lift the blade.