1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atv Plow Air Down Force and Wings

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by calikid79, Feb 12, 2012.

1. calikid79

calikid79 Junior Member
    from Mo

I have a 08 Polaris Sporstman 800. I bought a 56" cycle country plow for it this summer. I was trying to move dirt and gravel with it and it seemed way too light. Also I couldn't break up packed snow with the whopping 1" of snow we had and the blade skipped alot. I was going to buy their down force kit for 100 and buy some wings. But my inner redneck kicked in and saw a old air shock, a old walmart 12v mini air compressor, some wood and some hardware. After a little work and some duct tape I have a down force plow system with over 100psi and wings to make my plow a snow box. The downforce kit I made seems to work perfect to move gravel and dirt. It will pick up the front of the atv if I give it full pressure. If it ever snows in St. Louis we will see if it works the way I want it to. I will post some pics up in a little bit.

Any feedback good or bad is appreciated. I have 10 driveways to plow and want make sure I didn't miss anything.

I also wanted to share cause I thought it was cool:mechanic:

08plow1.jpg

08plow2.jpg

08plow3.jpg

2. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

how long does it take to get pressure on it with the little pump?

3. calikid79

calikid79 Junior Member
    from Mo

About 15 seconds to get it up to 80psi. But this is a walmart compressor and gauge so not sure how accurate it is. But since it is a shock you can still move the plow up and down with the winch because it was meant to give and keep the pressure in the shock. It does bleed off some but I think it may be my plumbing or just the shock is old and bad seals. A small air tank might work better/quicker for filling it and give higher psi.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Thats is some redneck custom work I thought of same thing but I ended up useing a 12v acuator
    Say think ur wings are to thick and wont let plow cut in to scape
    Thats first thing pop in my mind when seen ur wings Think set them at a 30 degree angle would work better and ur plow will still trip
    Does it trip now with the wings on ??

5. calikid79

calikid79 Junior Member
    from Mo

I did cut them about 1" shorter than the plow so they wouldn't scrape and the blade could trip. I know they are way too thick. We were bored and drinkin beer and thats all we had at the time to make em. I may just take them off but they do stop the windrows problem I was having.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Been there bored and drinkin beer:laughing: