1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV on a 36' sidewalk?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtreem3d, Oct 22, 2015.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    Anyone use an ATV on a 36" sidewalk...if so how did it work out with the narrow plow?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Don't even know how to picture that.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Most ATV's are over 36" wide, don't think it'd work out very well.

4. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Off the hip,
    I'd say get a 42-48" blade the cut the wear bar down to your 36" side walk length with blade angled
    Let the outer edges of the blade float over the grass.

You quad tires are gonna track wide on you though?

Maybe a Honda 300 4x4 they might be a little narrow for tire placement?

How deep of snow will you be pushing?

5. xtreem3d

we plow with the storms ...so not deep snow as we go. I didn't explain well but I was going to cut down a plow to fit a 36" walk at an angle. I was more wanting to know how bad the rear tires "squeezed' snow back onto walk as you go by. I have a Dingo that I can put a plow on ..it will fit better on the walks but just be slow. these are 11,000 linear feet walks , that's why I ask about a quad

6. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

are these walk's close to a road? are you going to have the plow berm from the road spill over onto the side walks?

due you already have a quad?

I'd look for the Cycle Country V plow and due like I talked about have the wear bar set at your 36" but have the plow moldboard still full width so your scraping the 36" walk but clearing a path wider so as your quad tires
    are running in a clear path

also you might be able to run a narrow set of rims on the back of the quad to narrow up the rear tire foot print.

for Honda's the rear rim offset puts the rims out. If you run front rims on the back your rear tires would be narrow than stock?

you'll have to due some research but it might be worth it.

or get rims for a IRS quad as there offset is different and just run those rims on the SRA quad to have the rear tire track narrow.

just my off the hip thoughts,

good luck

7. xtreem3d

sublime...thanks...I don't have the quad but can easily get one. I will look into the V plow you suggested...sounds like a good idea. I don't know that plow so I cant really visualize it scraping the walk and not the turf. BTW I won't have a berm to plow away

Steve

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You will probably be better off cutting the wear edge down to 32" to give some wiggle room and reduce the lawn repair work in the spring. A v plow would be a good choice because snow rolling off both sides equally will keep the machine from being pushed to one side with heavy snow.