1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atv Liquid De-icer Would This Work ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kason & Riley, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

I have been looking in to liquid de-icer but the applicators seem to be a bit much . I have been looking for something to work on the 4 wheeler. This is what I have come up with. Do you guys think this will work?

atv sprater.jpg

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

it should. try and search for some threads i thought there was aguy on here who had a rig for is atv

3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

It should

Why wouldnt it?

4. Kason & Riley

Just concerned about the flow if the magic-o is thicker than roundup or fertilizer? Would coverage be adequate? Is 144" wide enough ? Has anyone used this before? I have done a search and didn"t come up with anything ATV related.

5. Kason & Riley

I found some thank you.

Steve

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No it won't. Too wide, Magic and any of the liquids are much heavier than herbicides and fertilizers. Especially when it gets cold.

If you have a boom that is about as wide as the ATV itself, it will work, not well, but it will work. You will have to go over everything twice to get decent coverage.

7. snowman4848

snowman4848 Junior Member

It will not work if you have a 12 volt electric motor on it. You need way more POWER to push this product. We have about a dozen four wheelers and it just doesn't work. We found a pull-behind cart with a bigger tank and a seperate motor to pump ONLY the liquid works the best.

8. Kason & Riley

It works great! I have to turn down the pressure.

9. Mark Oomkes

What works great? This sprayer? This sprayer with a liquid anti-icer?

10. Kason & Riley

Yes the sprayer above 3.8 gpm at 45 psi with magic-o.

11. 5 degrees

Yes, but its not 5 degrees out yet either, keep that in mind.

12. Mark Oomkes

OK, Jon, you beat me to it.

#1 What is the temp that you were using it at?

#2 At what rate are you applying it at? Did you calibrate to see how many gallons per lane mile?

As I said, it will work, not great, but it works. To get proper coverage in cold temps, you will more than likely have to go over it twice and when the temp drops, you are going to have to slow down.

If you are applying it on walks, you will need to apply at a heavier rate to get the same results as a lighter rate on roadways\lots because you do not have the traffic to move it around for you.

13. Kason & Riley

I was told to take the filters out and put in bigger nozzles. The magic salt dealer has 8 ATVs with similar setup and help me set it up.

14. Mark Oomkes

Yep, have to do that. Definitely will not work with the filters.

Can you give me\us a little more info? Size of boom, tank capacity, rate at which you are applying? What size\type of nozzles? Application--walks or parking lot?

If it works, I would be willing to take a look at it again.

Please keep us updated over the winter about how it works for you as well.

Thank you.

15. Kason & Riley

The boom is 10' wide, 25 gallon tank, I am not sure of the rate that I will have to apply it at but the dealer said with the pump wide open they couldn't drive fast enough, I will check the type of nozzles and what size. I will be doing both sidewalks and parking lots. I will keep you updated on how its working.

Thanks.

16. Kason & Riley

It working great. The nozzle are 1 gpm. The only problem is the pump. It gets really cold and slows down . So in the middle of the storm I came up with this. I put hand warmers around the the pump and tape them to the pump. Work great.

17. Mark Oomkes

Good idea on the handlebar warmers. I'm still trying to figure something out, sick of going over everything twice. First with a 4 wheeler then with our Workman to spray.

Thanks for the update.

18. Surfside

Surfside Member

payup :drinkup: Thank for all the answers to many of my questions. Im about to buy a argi fab 25 g 12 v tow behind system for 200. Looking forward to being one of the first people in my area to apply that i know of. The system only has one nozzle that sprays 80". looks like i'll be doing some fab work. hope 2 post some pics of my 4000 $ truck with my 4500$ plow soon.