1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

atv ice melt spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by topdog, Nov 20, 2006.

1. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

can anyone recommend a good atv spreader for ice melt. i have a 2005 artic cat 500 with blade. i was wanting one to put on it to salt sidewalks with. most the major brands just make suv ones as there smaller models. but they are too much since you are throwing salt around 12 to 14 feet. would like one that throws around 4f eet. most the ones i have found for an atv are for seed/fertilizer. they say you can put salt in them, but i am a firm beliver in you get what you pay for.
    thanks in advance.
  2. sharpercut

sharpercut Junior Member
    from MD

We use Snowex 325. You have to create a mounting system, but they work pretty good. Only thing you have to watch out for is the controler system, it should not get too wet.
  3. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

thanks a friend of mine just got a buyers suv one and had his reese hitch extended on his 4 wheeler to mount it. only thing i see wrong is it throws it too far, and kinda of a waste of salt throwing 12' when you only need to throw it about 4'.
    thanks again for the info.
  4. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Make a removable shield around the spinner so it doesn't spread far. Then if you need to make a bigger path you pop it off. You can do it in a couple pieces to have options. Like left edge or right. That in comb with the speed control you should be happy.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try the landscaper catalogs. I see them doing hospital grounds all the time with them.
    They got to be out there somewhere.