1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV how best to salt walks.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rick W, Dec 17, 2015.

1. rick W

rick W Member

One of our contracts has enough sidewalks this year we just got an atv with a plow. Looking at a salter or maybe even brine sprayers. Seems most of the spreaders are crappy, throw too wide, motors dont work etc.

Just looking for ideas on how to drop salt or brine 3-5' wide on walks behind atv so they can be knocked off efficiently not require the old pail and throw method. Anything reasonablly priced and does a decent job? Been looking online and coming up empty.

Thanks.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

they make seed spreaders for atvs for doing hay lots....might have luck at an ag dealer

3. rick W

rick W Member

Thanks but...

I have been reading all i can and it seems the seed ones throw way too wide a path, even if you fab up a blocker. Most are designed for seed and fertilizer and they self destruct using road salt. Just wondered if anyone can report good luck dropping salt behind an atv with a 3' wide pattern with a couple seasons of experience.

4. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

No experience here, but what about a tow behind drop spreader?

5. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

unless you a buy a expensive salt spreader and fab up the proper blockers for the spinner your best bet may be to buy a tow behind and fab something up to make the salt drop
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_623845-203-...gri-Fab&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=320011480004320285

Meyer makes one purpose built for ATV's may be pretty expensive
    https://www.meyerproducts.com/salt-spreaders/tailgate/base-line-125-atv-salt-spreader

Snow Ex also has smaller ones that you may have to fab up
    http://www.gemplers.com/product/212...SEPLA&ef_id=VnNz-QAABMC6R3Az:20151218024829:s

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  6. JMHConstruction

I've also put a tarp around my walk behinds to prevent it from throwing ice melt in the grass. Worked pretty good, but buy the cheap ones from harbor freight, the ice melt eats the tarps after a handful of uses.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I paid $600 for this SnowEx spreader that you can adjust the baffles on to throw 3'(shut completely) to 30'(all the way open) or anything in between because of the way the flaps open and close. Get a stainless spreader for sure or it will be trash in 1-2 seasons. I'm sure you could figure a way to pull it behind your ATV. Holds 3-4 #40 bags of ice melt. Maybe SnowEx even makes one for ATVs? I haven't looked.

photo copy 3.jpg

8. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Don't waste your $ on a tow behind, been there done that! I have been looking at the snow ex one myself, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. We have someone sit on the back of the atv with a bucket and hand toss, pretty cost effective.

9. rick W

rick W Member

So

Kind of frustrating that there are hundreds of pages of pics of great looking atvs with plows but no decent quality salters that will trickle salt down reliably behind an atv.
    Figured someone would make something. Will see if i can find a decent used tail gate salter, modify it to mount on atv, and build a skirt to keep it from throwing outside of 3' range.

Just had hoped someone could provide a magic solution. :realmad:

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We bought a 100# spreader from Tractor supply type place and put an enclosure all the way around the spinner to control how wide the spread was but there is still problems.

Controlling how far open the baffle was consistently from the seat was next to impossible, leaving the baffle open to where you needed it and salt would flow out.

Spinner speed control - we used an old blower motor switch but it'd only run so slow, which was still too fast.

Oomkes did a Gator that I seen a few years ago, we copied the hoop idea - He used a much better spreader and maybe he'll say how it worked out.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Spreader worked great, Gator was a flaming POS.

I'll try to get some pixs up.

13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I seen it at Jim's, was a work of art for sure. Was always curious how it did.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We tried a few. Ended up just going to drop spreaders. We have two people walk one pouring into it and one pushing it. We drop a bag at each corner

15. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I forgot to mention we use treated mag on all of our walks. Don't really have issues if some gets on the grass

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Problem with the drop spreader is it has a fixed width. So if the walk is wider then you have to make multiple passes.

18. JMHConstruction

19. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No doubt - anyone have one?

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I believe I was quoted in the neighborhood of $4k. It's been a year or two though.

SnowEx was cheaper, but I don't remember how much.