1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Help

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Snowproz51, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Snowproz51

Snowproz51 Junior Member

Guys for the first time ever I'am going to employ ATV's for sidewalk duty.

Some questions for the experts.

Does anybody sell/manufacture or fabricate blades w/ "V" capability?

Production rates for different size blades?

Steel edges vs Urethane?

Any general comments or advice will be greatly appreciated & accepted.

Here's wishing everybody a very profitable winter season ( With no breakdowns, Hell, we can always wish!) and a "Very Very, Merry Christmas"

Bill Harrison
    William T Harrison Enterprises
    Washington Grove, Maryland
    snowproz51@aol.com
    williamtharrison.com

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have never found a v blade for an ATV. You can find custom one's on ebay, but no one mass produce them. Sorry

as far as production rates go, there are to many varibles that play into effect :(

Welcome to plow site, any more question post'em up.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

do a search on the net i just bought a plow and i know i seen a v blade some where.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

they make one for my grasshopper ztr. maybe you could get one of those and fashion a mounting system...just a thought!

5. sam973

sam973 Member

I know Polaris makes an adjustable V because I looked at it. I went with the 54 inch one way blade though.

6. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I am looking to get a plow on my suzuki eiger I am looking at straight plows but a v might be better for sidewalks. I have seen them on the net. Check out moose of cycle county

7. Snowproz51

Snowproz51 Junior Member

Thanks for the input guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Harrison

8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, I stand corrected :salute:

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I think dont think a v is the way to go on this one. Im not so sure the polaris v is able to be put back to a straight plow. A v would be great but there are going to be times when it isnt going to do you any good. A straight plow will work just fine for sidewalks. You prob will want at least a 50 inch plow to do a 48 inch sidewalk.

Urethane, Ive never used it so I cant help ya with that one.

Production, I bet you can do a norm city block in about 15 to 20 mins.

Just my opinion, stay away from cycle country. I prefer the warn and the Moose line. They have a bit more weight to them and that helps at times.

Just to let you know I have a 300 cc kawi and i use a 60 inch plow. 300 cc's are more then enough for my 60 inch plow.

Rob

10. sam973

sam973 Member

I went with the 54 inch one way plow for the reasons Rob just said. The V only cleared 46 inches when in the V or angle position. That would barely clear the tires on my Sportsman 700. The 54 keeps the tire path clear, even at full angle.

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i use a yamaha 350 4x4 for side walks. you need to put a u-edge on it
    the first time we plowed with out the edge my guy was almost shot over the handle bars it amazing how much of a difference a peice of urethane can make.several members on this site rep for polar edge

j.reed

12. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Just to let you know I have a 300 cc kawi and i use a 60 inch plow. 300 cc's are more then enough for my 60 inch plow.

Rob, the 300 cc is ok with a 5 ft plow??

I never had an atv but I used to watch my neighbor. He had a machine in the 300cc range. Don't know if it was him or not, but he couldn't plow squat. He'd get stuck in 3" every time. Never saw an acceptable push from him after watching 3 years. :confused:

13. wls

wls Senior Member

yes they have one, polaris that is, I went with the 48" straight plow, on my wife's sportsman 400, works great.

14. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

answers,maybe?

v blades.the only ones ive seen are in a fixed v position,making them useless once you make your first pass.run 2 atvs w/straight blades.one in front of the other and both and angling oppostite directions.

production rates.id go with a 4-500 cc machine with at least a 60" blade.that will produce

steel vs.urethane urethane is the way to go.it doesnt scrape concrete and leave rust marks and is much more forgiving to the operator and machine.

general comments.same rules apply to atv plowing.go with the storm,etc.etc.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  15. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I've run 3-4 ATV's for the past 6 years cleaning about 50 accounts in town. Now before I get started, let me clarify that in my region we typically only get 1-2" snows. If you get into anything over about 12", your ATV looses effectiveness, even on walks.
    V Blades - I've seen fully adjustable V-blades that are made by, I believe, Polaris and also Cycle Country. The one I saw, you have to adjust each wing with a bar with holes in it that a pin slides into for a stop. I run 60" strait blades that have multiple settings each direction up to about 35-40 degrees. Personally I wouldn't get a blade that is fixed in one direction because then it dictates what direction you will have to push the snow.
    Urethane edges - I don't have any experience with poly edges. I throw away the stock cutting edge, after I've gotten the bolt pattern off of it, for 2 reasons. Stock edges last us about 2 hours of blading (too soft of steel) and also they are too light. We use AR steel about 1/4" - 3/16" thick and about 3 to 3 1/2 inches deep for cutting edges. It's been a while since I've ordered any so I don't remember the exact dimensions. You have to find the right machinest with the right tools to punch the square holes in the edge for the carrige bolts. The reason for running such big steel is the AR doesn't wear out like regular soft steel and also you need to hang some weight on that blade. When you start pushing a lot of snow your blade will drift up if you have too light a set up. I've thought about eurithane (sorry about the ugly spelling) before, but I am afraid that we will just burn the edges off in no time.
    We run Polaris 400 two strokes. They have alot more low RPM torque than many of the 4 strokes. Plus they start better in the cold. I have one machine that has about 100 to 120 miles put on it during each snow event. We probably average 12 - 14 snows a year. Multiply that by 6 years. Figure the miles on that machine and that is why I will never own anything but a Polaris for the rest of my life. I have never had to do anything to this machine except put on tires.
    We mount handwarmers, thumb warmers, windshields, and snow deflector boards between the front rack and the bottem of the windshield. Those items our our "creature comforts" ha, ha. It really helps when it is about -30 degrees at 3:00 AM.

16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Kramer,

I feel my 300 is more then enough to push my 60 inch blade. Now I have to stop there and say all quads and tire are not equal. Just like their big brothers it takes more then slapping a blade on a quad and expect the same results as the guy next door. I used to own a king quad and that thing with 5 year old stock tires would push snow as the day is long. Now same quad Id put my mud tires and Id be lucky to be able to clear 3-4 inches from my drive. Now with that said I have a 650 in my garage that all it would take is to buy a 60 mount i could use that but i dont need to. My 300 does a fine job so no need to mess with a good thing. Now dont get me wrong You cant expect to go out in a 12 snow fall and expect this thing to perform the same as it does in 2 inches. I mainly use my quad for doing the tight spots. I also use it the first few snow in the year simply cause i dont move the gravel around as much as i do with my truck. I just brought in 20 ton this year to top off my 400 foot drive and i really hate to rake my yard in the spring....Rob

Makindust,

Im glad you like your Polaris 2 strokes and Ill give you this they do run great, BUT the rest of the bike isnt up to snuff, IMOP. I dont like taking ALL day doing doing maintenance on one quad. 7 fluids and i forget how many zerk fittings. And all that they seem to brake more then any other quad Ive had here. I ride with a bunch of guy and thay all bring their quads here to be fixed and I have more Polaris's here then any other quad. Personally I like the Kawi line but if i was buying a quad to strictly buy a Honda rubi. They run beautifully in the colder weather and the reliability of theses quad (just imop) cant be beat. I know more then 3 that have more then 5000 hard miles with nothing more then a brake job not because he needed it but I just wanted it done.

Oh ya another thing why does Polaris give you a generic owners manual? I dont get it. I spend 7 g's on a quad I want a owners manual for my quad. Just a pet peeve of mine. .....Rob

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  17. jreiff

jreiff Junior Member
    from MN

Anyone have pictures of there ATV's? Just curious how they look. Thanks

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

19. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Rob,

I don't know why Polaris makes a generic owners manual. I had problems servicing my 2000 400 Explorer with the ownersmanual because I am kinda a pictures kinda guy (Sometimes I think my mother droped me on my head). That is a peeve of mine also. I guess I have just had really good luck with them. You're very right though, too many fluids and zerks. When I bought the first one I was very skeptical about the chain drive but I have never broke a chain. I would say that we put them to the test. On parking lots when we are cleaning up windrows we run 2 machines side by side to make an inverted V and push. Granted they won't push as much as my Boss V, but for a couple quads they do amaze me everytime we do that. When you think about it that is equivlant to a 10' V blade.
    A year ago I was thinking about Polarises 700, but I hear that they keep snapping the drive belt. That made me shy away from them.

20. wdman1

wdman1 Junior Member
    from iowa

atv's are fine. I have ran my 450 sportsman for 3 years with a 48" blade. The 48 is the best blade to use. Can't say they move a foot of snow or more effectively but it will do it with time. Anything bigger it hard to bust up drifts and get around in tight places