1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV compared to Truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Nurumkin, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

So I am a contractor for freddie mac and they have asked me to buy a setup to plow some of the more rural driveways this winter. I wanted to use my rodeo but the consensus here is that it is basically a glorified minivan (I already knew this).

My next question is how good is an atv with a plow compared to a truck? These would be basically farm driveways so they might be as long as a few hundred feet and there would probably be some decent sized drifts. Am I kidding myself that an ATV can do this? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a plow truck?
  2. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Im not "hatin" on Atv's or anything but bite down and get a truck its alot better (in the long run)

Ok with an Atv
    -Once you get about 5+ inches you start having trouble...
    - After a few storms of 5+ inches you start wondering where else you can put the snow
    -Running together with that one^^ A truck can stack and a ATV Can "Push"

Now dont get me wrong an atv is good for a few reasons too!

Also maybe you don't need a truck get a uses jeep 4x4 that is what you need! Even a jeep can stack snow alot higher than a atv!!!
    like it can get into smaller areas like along side of the house where a truck obviously cant.....
    I think a truck will be better....then after you get the truck try out the atv (I recommend thick winter gear! its gonna be cold on an atv compared to a truck!)
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

agree with above. an atv would have a hard time with those big driveways.
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Also an atv is cold cuz there's no heat!