1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATV Cabs

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Has anyone used the cabs for ATV's? Are they worth it? From the ones I've seen, you're legs are still exposed. It can be pretty cold and windy plowing sidewalks up in Alberta. I was looking at picking up a used Kubota F-Series with a sweeper and blade and an enclosed cab but the dealership where its at won't allow a demo or rental. I've already got a Honda Fourtrax, so for under a grand I think I can put a blade on it and a fabric cab if its worth it.

2. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i would say my legs dont bother me its the wind hittin you in the face so i would say yea somethings better than nothing.

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I have one from the following company that I bought used and is still in the box. I am just awaiting till this winter to put it on the ATV

http://www.atvcabs.com/

It has the side doors with the skirt covering for your leg's.
    It was a craiglist score from last april.

thats all I know about it so far.
    its still in the rafters in the garage.
    awaiting the cold weather to set in to put it on the ATV.

sublime out.

4. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I wonder if the steam comin up off the motor when snow hits it will cause the inside of the cab to condensate reducing visibility. I think the engine heat will warm up the inside of the cab a bit. Hopefully someone who has used one will comment.

5. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I would like to know also!

6. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i had a 6wd argo with a 340 kawi in it with the enclosure and it was warm inside. i think it will be the same deal but the steam could get ya i imagine.

7. sublime68charge

also for when i get my set up going I was gonna buy one of those in cab Heaters your can find for the Side by Sides like a 600W and just put that so its shooting heat up towards the front window area to keep it clear.

thats my plan,

I have to wait for it to get really cold to implament my plan though.

sublime out.

8. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

good luck running a 600w heater off an atv battery your average atv alternator is around 300w

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a winshield and it works good if it gets to windy I just put my snowmobile helmet on.

10. pby98

pby98 Member

does the winshield really work though. i was thinking of getting one but i am not sure?

11. sublime68charge

Ok so my plan will be changing then.

did a quick Ebay search,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rhin...010977QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

so there 300W still will be alot for my poor little battery.
    so I'll have to hook up my battery tender when I'm done plowing with the ATV after snow falls. My usual run time is 2 hours for a 4" snow fall.

sublime out.

12. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

if you use a winch or elctric lift to lift your plow than you also have to figure that in the winch drws alot of power. also you have to think about if you are using any lights how much power they are using. what kind of atv do you have? i would search google and find out exactly how many amps your alternator outputs

13. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I honestly would not waste money of something like this.. unless I got 1 hell of a good deal.

I've plowed the last 2 years without one.. the cold doesn't really bother me that much.

Just got to layer.

14. sublime68charge

my Cab cost me $165 New in Box never used, got to love Craig's list.
    To buy a new one is $400+ and that is way out of my price range.

but for the $$$ I spent I am hoping it is worth it. I also will have this year a power angle kit so be able to angle the blade from the seat and with the Down pressure kit I added last year I am thinking I will have an enjoyable year of snow plowing this year. Even when the temps are in the single digits which I ended up plowing in a few time last year.

when the temps in the Mid 20's its great but once it gets below 15 I just want to be done.

sublime out.

15. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I have a neoprene mask from jp cycles and that's all I need for my face. It would be nice to have a hood as well made out of that stuff for the top of my head. But my face is just fine when I'm plowing and the mask is only $30 or so.

16. Advanced Glenn

Advanced Glenn Junior Member

My (used) ATV came with a cab. It is basically a tubular frame with a fitted waterproof enclosure. It has front & rear windshield, the sides zipper front & back and roll up with a strap that can hold them open. It does hold the heat in pretty well. I use it only when it's still snowing or raining. We have some churches that have mass no matter if the snow has stopped, so we have to do the sidewalks no matter what. It keeps you pretty dry. It came with metal clamps to hold it to the front & rear acces. racks. I just use four bungee cords to hold it on. Easy on & off. The only thing I will say is it makes the whole thing feel top heavy. It does not weigh anything, but it makes it feel different. I only use it when I have to. I gotta snap a few pictures of my rig and post it up here.

17. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  18. sublime68charge

here's some pics of Mine, Temp was -4 and I was pretty comfy in here doing snow removal. Heck I had to turn the Heated hand grips down from the High setting to the Low.
    got out to shovel some stuff by hand and that's when I got cold it was warmer riding the ATV than shoveling the snow by hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I found a great deal on an enclosure, $88.00, it was half price. Haven't used it for plowing yet. It will be a pain in the a## if i have to get off the machine alot but otherwise it should help. I found it at Princess Auto. Some guys have mentioned the power angling, do you use hydraulics or air????

20. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Electric, hydraulic:D

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/skywagon12/IMG_0677.jpg