1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atv cab

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by SportsmanJay, Dec 22, 2011.

1. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Well... Inspired by the pics I saw from "IPLOWSNO" last year and freezing my butt off running a couple miles down the road to a few jobs I do, I'm happy to say that I'll be staying warmer this winter in the new cab I built. Here's some pics for everyone to check out. I have to paint it still and cut and fit the lexon for the windows, but you'll get the idea... I also ordered some LED strobes and Lights to help see at night and a truck mirror for each side to help with backing up. Thanks again for the pics IPLOWSNO!!!!

atv cab 1.jpg

atv cab 2.jpg

atv cab 3.jpg

atv cab 4.jpg

atv cab 5.jpg

2. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

It's a Woody!!!!:yow!:

Looks great to tell the truth!

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Cool dude
    I know a guy made one from Alum

4. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

looks very good, after paint it will be sweet!

5. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

thanks jay,

dam is it hot in here?

i take that as the ultimate compliment, you did a nice job on yours, you have some solid building skills,,,,,,however door opening forward?make sure its latched lol

what color you going with? how long did it take you ?

oh you think i am not going out in the shop to one up you? watch hahaha

because lexan is so exspensive, i was gonna do the front window and get some boat plastic for the side windows, it is more to keep the wind off anyway,

get some handwarmers and you will be good to go, don't forget she is top heavy when ya turn,

make sure you keep us updated cause i am keeping my eye on you ,

heres the prototype he used for his design, so basically he made mine better and now i have to return the favor,

[​IMG]

mine has a speed wing on it hahaha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thorough testing

[​IMG]

6. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

very nice, these both look good. i was thinking about building a cab to. i was thinking about using 2x2s to keep the weight down. do yas think it be strong enough with 2x2s?

7. irv

irv Senior Member

i think im having cab envy. how much will that weigh? cant wait to see finished pics.
    must be something in the water in ny that makes you want to build things out
    of wood.keep up the great work---irv

8. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone! IPLOWSNO, haha! I wasn't trying to one up you, I just seem to go to the extreme when I'm building something. I think I told you last year that I'm a Trim Carpenter. It took a few nights after work, so probably 10 hours give or take? I've been doing some work for a guy that can get lexan and he got me a 4x8x1/8" sheet for $100. We just did a trade off for it so no money was exchanged, kinda like it was given to me right?? ha! By all means, PLEASE go one up me on it, and when you do I want to come see it! I'm in Cleveland so I'm probably only a 1/2 hour from you! Again, thanks for the inspiration for the whole idea!!!

revdwg- to be honest, I REALLY don't think 2x2's will hold up.... Every joint that I made was pocket screwed with 2 1/2" pocket screws and glued with PL Premium Construction Adhesive and they are SOLID! I honestly don't think you'll have enough surface area to make a strong joint with 2x2's, but I could be wrong so feel free to give it a try. I wasn't concerned with the weight as it would help with traction anyways, and being a 700 EFI I'm sure I'll have more than enough power. If ya need any pointers feel free to ask, and I'm sure IPLOWSNO would throw in his $.02 as he's a carpenter as well I believe.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep ya posted with pics as I get it totally completed!

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Are you going to paint it red and black? :D

10. IPLOWSNO

yea i am a carpenter so that is why you see me work in wood, that and because i am to poor to add a welder to my arsenal of ww tools.

however i am able to pull off just about anything i want with wood,sure metal would be nice but i don't come across extra metal on a regular basis.

my next body will have some looks to it,but it will take some time to complete.but seeing i just lost my major source of income i may have all the time i need,

i am thinking lightweight framing too, 3/4 ish with f/g resin coated its all in how you join your wood imo if you use pocket screws you need surface area, bigger stock, if you let one into the other you won't,

the panels are what eventually keep it together make it all tight and use glue,

i have been playing with fiberglass lately so i am thinking a little imagination and f/g and wood ican probably pull it off,,

build a frame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. IPLOWSNO

jay you holding out on us

12. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Here's some updated pics.

atv cab 6.jpg

atv cab 7.jpg

atv cab 8.jpg

atv cab 9.jpg

atv cab 10.jpg

13. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Couple more.

atv cab 11.jpg

atv cab 12.jpg

14. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the way this turned out. I just finished up all the wiring for the lights tonight, 3 LED strobes on both front and back and 2 LED fog lights on both front and rear for extra lighting at night. I tested it out tonight also, it's about 25* out and I plowed a few inches in a long sleeve shirt and no gloves and I was very warm, might even have to make one of the windows open! Took it down the road to see how it performed and can get it up to almost 50mph, it goes a little over 60mph without the plow and cab. All in all, I can see it will serve it's purpose very well!

15. IPLOWSNO

its fricken red and black alc greg hahahaha, he took your advice hahah

CONGRATUALIONS JAY, it looks awesome all painted, how did you mount your plexi?

mine cracked with screws silicone maybe a good way,

yea mine cruised right down the road at speed too, just watch the sharp turns if she bicycles your plow will dig in and wreck you ask me how i know lol

i had a car coming when i flopped mine and out of embarassment i turned into hulk and flipped it back over lol it worked haha

holy fricken light set ups batman, theres got to be a 100 bucks worth of lights on that you got me beat hands down, how are you powering them? i had a seperate batt that i would charge when needed, so no draw on the wheeler.

i got laid off 2 days before christmas so i am busy trying to get work so mine will have to wait, besides i have a speed boat coming that a guy needs repairs done to so, for this year you will remain king of the cabs, next year though i will be shooting you down hahaha

next we need to see the durability test pics, and some good ones in the snow too, way to go bud you did a nice job

16. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

Looks Good!!!!! You sure do know how to build things with wood. Very good skills. although, your wiring skills are lacking some ;) :p lol Jk.

17. irv

irv Senior Member

looks great.must have a 500a alternator.my setup has sat in the shop
    all winter. no snow in nw illinois.at least another weekof way above
    average temps.at my age i think i like it.i spent more time putting
    all my removal equip on than moving anything--irv

18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

With LED lights, you really don't need a bunch of extra amps. They draw very little in comparison to a ambient bulb.

Yeah, red and black. Looks great. I'll be the first to admit, I don't have the mad wood working skills you have so I guess I'm going to be out in the cold. :(

19. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Thanks guys, I'm extremely pleased with it! I got the LED lights on ebay pretty cheap, $35 for the 6 strobes and I picked up the fog lights from Advanced Auto, I didn't feel like waiting another week or two for them if I ordered them on ebay... They are all LED, so the draw is very minimal. I wired them for a cigarette adapter and they plug into the side of the speedo. I was thinking about adding my 2 group 31 batteries I have that power my stereo in my boat for two reasons, 1- to wire just the winch to them and 2- for added weight to the rear. I would keep them separate from the atv wiring and just throw them on a trickle charge when not plowing. They sit all winter in the house anyways, so why not put them to use right? Also, the way I mounted the lexan, when I did the plywood on the outside I let it hang into the window frames 3/4", then I put the lexan in from the inside and ripped stops out of plywood and screwed them in sandwiching the lexan in place. This way if I need to replace a window it will be as easy as just removing the stops.

20. IPLOWSNO

hahaha, after really looking at the pics i seen what ya did, that dam house utlity light was confusing me for a minute thinking you had a dome light in there with an incandescent bulb hahahahaha

greg your only in pa, that isn't far to drive to get a quality cab hahaha beats the cold all day long imo,

my next one is gonna be cool somehow, who knows i may go all out and make a mold,then have a f/g biz in town give me a price on replicating it. all fiberglass lightweight who knows lol