1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Attn: Wiring Guru's

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TTBoy77, Oct 3, 2008.

1. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I have a wiring harness from my uni-mount. It was on an 86 Chev k20 with 1 square headlight on each side. I am going to mount my plow on my 98 k2500. Can my original harness be used? Which adapters are needed? Do I need a whole new harness? Western part numbers would also help as my local dealers get confused easily.:jester:

2. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

as long as you have the same type of headlights you'll be good, if you have the HB3/HB4 replaceable halogen bulbs then you'll need a 61716 light harness.

3. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

My current lights are WAY different then my old ones. I now have the side-by-side (high beam/ low beam) as opposed to one square light on each side (high and low beam combined). So now what??:confused:

4. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

do you have the replaceable halogen bulbs?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A 98 K2500 would have the HB3/HB4 composite lights that your referring to as "side by side". So all you need is the 61716 harness that Noble posted.

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

If you wanted to go the cheap route, you could hard wire them in. Just cut off the plugs and splice the wires into your headlight wiring.

7. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

So if I went to my dealer and told them that I need the 61716 adapter, added that to my original harness, my plow and lights would work? Thank you.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct...

9. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Thanks for all the great help guys! Another question that came to mind is do I also need the 61584 DRL adapter? If so, how does that work? I use my original harness (the one off of my uni-mount and an 86 k20) with 2 adapters? Just trying to get all this figured out before I actually dive in.:waving:

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't necessary to use the DRL kit if you don't want (or are required) to have DRL functions on the plow lights. The DRL's will still function as normal on the truck when the plow isn't mounted.

11. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I'm back with even more. I found out my current harness is p/n 61546, dated 01-01, and Rev.3. I bought my 61716 adapter and dove right in. I got the motor side done in a heart-beat. The light side is a bit of a puzzle to me. I still can't figure it out. I printed off some install instructions from Western's website and can't even find my p/n listed. I do have the hb3/hb4 lights and I think my harness is a 12 pin (that is how many are in the connector plug). I can figure out my adapter harness will plug into my lights but don't know where the wires go. To a relay? Which relay? :dizzy: I could really use some help.

I would rather not have to buy a whole new harness. (About how much if I REALLY HAD to?)

ussmileyflag

12. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I cant remember which relay I used back them, BUT you basically jump/pigtail one of your harness ends (lights) to the actual socket feed on the OEM truck headlight and then you use block relays (think they came with the wiring on mine) and attach the loose ends(individual colored wires with single plug in) to these

13. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

my adapter will plug into my light sockets. i don't have to jump any wires as far as I know.