1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATTN. Meyer Gurus...

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by watchamakalit, Dec 2, 2005.

1. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

I have a question about the aframe on my ST90. I am not sure the technical name but the half moon piece that I have circled part of dosen't seem like it is located properly. Shouldn't it be under the plated that the lift chain fastens to? If so how can I fix it? If it makes any difference I had to put new pivot pins and sleeves on the a-frame when I got it. Other than that I really haven't done anything to the plow other than mount it.

S2010007.JPG

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thats an older ST-90 2 springer.

Your center bolt is likely worn, allowing your A-Frame to pull away from your sector.

Take it to a welder and have him fix it, and relocate the chain pull so it's NOT pulling on that bracket that holds the sector to the A-Frame.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

While looking further at your picture, you may have some mixed parts.

If you don't know the history, you may have a newer A-Frame, as there are different lengths. This shouldn't change your sector to A-Frame bracket clearance, but you never knew.

YES, that backet has to contain your sector.

Get it fabricated correctly, but like I said, get that chain welded to something else, NOT that bracket.

4. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Ok kewl. I got to looking at it and it didn't seem right. Just wanted some input on what to do to fix it. :drinkup:

5. cowboyway37

cowboyway37 Junior Member

dont listen to the guy saying to move your chain. The pivot hole is ovaling on you take the A-frame off have it welded tighter(it is ovaled out) install new bolt and all is well. No need to move chain. Been using like that for years(20 to be exact)

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You don't NEED to move the lift point of the chain, but it sure prevents that sector bracket on the A-Frame from pulling up and possibly ripping it out and rendering your plow useless! This HAS happened to my within the past 20years (exactly) :rolleyes:

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Correct me if Im wrong here but that isnt the rite a frame. The A frame you have there is prob for an eight foot blade. It would prob be easyer and cheaper to find a 7.5 foot blade in someones back yard somewhere that they'd be willing to just get rid of....Rob

8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I have fixed this problem on a number of our plows. The center pivot bolt hole becomes worn and the welds tear were the sector bracket attaches to the A frame. We check the location and then redrill the center pivot bolt hole to the next larger size or we weld the hole shut and redrill to the original size. All the plows we have redrilled to the larger size have never needed to be redrilled again. We also heat and bend the sector bracket back to its correct position and reweld it. On all our plows I have beefed up the welds were the sector bracket attaches to prevent this problem. If you have access to a wire feed or arc welder this is and easy fix. Since all of my plows are older and were purchased used, we usually do this when we purchase them. We tear them down, rebuild and reinforce. That way we don't have any unexpected problems.

9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

worn a frame

You are right on the a frame attaching plates are worn. There are many ways to fix that. Weld up hole, redrill is a good one. I have cut new plates and welded them on. Also we have purchased new a frame and replaced. The new a frame has some good engineering changes that will make it last longer. Also you have a worn bolt that adds to the slop that allows the plow sector to move forward.

I think 20 years is a good amount of time for a snow plow to work.

Dave