1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Attn - F550 Owners

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by GSE, Sep 8, 2005.

1. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Hello,

Is anyone running 2wd F550's for plowing? I currently have an F650 that is unstoppable in the snow with enough ballast. I'm assuming it'll be the same case with a 2wd F550, but I'm looking for some input before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

Matt

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I believe your assumption would be correct. Saying that, both our 550's are 4WD. But our F800 and F750 are 2WD and like you said, pretty much unstoppable.

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

my mieghbor uses a 2wd 550 dump with an 8.5 meyers poly and I have not heard him complain about it.

4. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Our village has a F-450 4X4 7.3L/auto with a 10' dump and a 9' Hiniker plow. I asked them how they liked it for plowing, they said that with about 4 yards in the bed, they only use 4wd on the steep hills and when pushing big piles.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

My buddy has a 9' meyers on a 2wd F-550. He said don't try pushing driveways with it. Flat open parking lots it will be just find. But you need about 4 tons in the back to get around.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything under a F-650 that was 2wd. Just better resale value with 4x4. When I went looking for used dump trucks this year. I could find 3 to 4 year old 2wd rigs all day long for $25,000. 3 to 4 year old 4x4 were $35,000.