1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Attention Salt Dogg Rep.

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by mpriester, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I recently purchased a shpe1000 and when i'm using it there is a line of salt under the spinner. I have adjusted the deflector in different positions with no luck. What can be done to cure this as it is wasting salt.
    Thank You
    Mike

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Send a PM to Scott Moorman. His name on here is "smoorman" and he's an engineer for Snowdogg. Very good about helping out people.

3. sns250

sns250 Member

I just posted about this. I was pleased to see they redesigned the spinner, then quickly realized its even worse than the first design! A complete joke. I have an old 1500 and 2000. Just purchased another 2000 and a 075. Why does the consumer do all the R and D now?

Take the plastic shroud completely off...it still spreads heavy to the drivers side but atleast you don't have a pile of material. Definitely need a price of rubber or something on the truck to protect it though.

Here is a link to another thread about it. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1879139#post1879139

4. JustJeff

sns250 are you talking about putting something behind the deflector so that it doesn't rub on the bumper? I have to do that with mine too, because there is a bracket that is constantly rubbing against the chrome on my bumper. I've got some pieces of rubber that have 3M tape on the backside that I will stick between the bracket and the bumper. Hope this works and doesn't fall off when it gets wet.

5. sns250

sns250 Member

I have taken the deflectors completely off both my new ones. I lay a price of rubber in the bed and it hangs down over the bumper to keep the salt off the truck. If you remove the deflector you definitely need this because some salt gets thrown directly at the truck because the deflector isn't there. The old spinners had a piece of stainless to help with this.

6. JustJeff

Oh wait, we're talking about two different things. Mine is the older model with the metal deflector, not the shroud that you had, but when my salter is in all the way to the stops, there is a bracket rubbing on my bumper. I'm going to have to take the chute off, and put a piece of rubber on the bumper where the bracket is hitting the bumper before it wears through the chrome.

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I will probably end up taking the shroud off because i think the spinner is holding the salt and causing the excess to build up and fall between the shroud and spinner which causes another concern, say you have a load of wet salt and it sticks to the shroud causing a build up which in turn causes a drag on the spinner from rubbing against salt build up and end up burning the spinner motor up.

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

What material are you spreading, and is it the newer chute (open chute) or older chute (closed)?

9. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Bulk salt and the chute is open. the spreaders a 2014 model.
    Thank You
    Mike

10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

The spinner position relative to the motor can be adjusted to control where the salt hits the spinner. This allows a lot of adjustability of the spread pattern. You may want to show this to your dealer to see if there is anything wrong with the chute assembly.

PM me with details.

11. sns250

sns250 Member

Smoorman

We spent about 4 hours on Saturday messing with all the adjustments. 2 on the spinner shaft and then 3 positions on where the spinner is bolted to the chute. Nothing fixed the problem that is described here. It is also an issue on both our 2014 spreaders. I have to say that this design is worse than the old one! We took the shrouds off completely and now there is no line of salt. It just throws all the salt from the middle of the truck out 20 feet to the driver side.

I guess my question is did buyers ever run any salt through this new spinner? The shroud is a terrible design. A lot of wanted product if you leave it on.

12. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

How fast are you running your spinner? I have a TGS03 tailgate spreader that did the same thing (leaving a line of salt dead center) I was running on 7 or 8 all the time. Now I run it no higher than speed 4 and don't have any problems now, and it spread pretty even all the way across. It sounds simple but it might be worth a try.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  13. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Take you a 2x4, and rest it on your bumper, so when the spreader is slid into the truck, the 2x4 is sandwiched between the salt spreader and the lip of the bed right by the bumper.

14. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I contacted my dealer and he said to bring it in and they can adjust the chute as it has a lot of adjustability to it. I explained that i had already tried all the adjustment combinations with no luck, and his reply was " I don't know what else to tell you. " I am going to make a deflector for it to take care of the problem. Don't get me wrong i like the spreader and will be buying another one for my other truck but i don't feel i should have to work on a spreader due to a design flaw that has only spread about 2 ton of salt .

15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ours leave a heavy line of salt right under the spinner if we turn the auger up too high. I've found that the highest we can run the auger is about 6 without overwhelming the spinner and bogging it down...

I love electric salters...can't wait to get a dedicated hydraulic salt truck...