1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

attention plow Veterans

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by brickslayer, Nov 26, 2011.

1. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

I bought an old RT3 Vplow for a pretty good price. Usually would never go cheap and old because I hate working on stuff. But anyways committed now. The specs on the plow are 11 pin with early smarthitch. Don't want throw crazy money at it because it will just be a back up but totally willing to do what it takes to get it updated to function properly with 13 pin trucks. At this point plow functions as it should. But have only one turn signal light working. Unplugged the lights found the connections corroded so possibly they could all be fine. Enough rambling already, any help would be greatly appreciated! But as stated please be practical I am aware that I could completely rewire everything buy new lights sand blast and paint it all pretty like I've seen people on here do. Maybe I'll do that once its proven itself...

2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

What truck are you putting it on? The 13 pin conversion kit for the plow makes sense, especially if you are going to install a new harness truck-side. Make sure all connections are clean of corrosion and apply dielectric grease to all.

3. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Back up plow for a 13pin 93 chevy or 13 pin 99 dodge diesel. I will be cleaning everything up on the plow. I've just searched and only saw threads deadend with out a CLEAR answer to what the out come of crossing a 11 pin plow on a 13 pin truck. Read anywhere from it will work perfectly fine to you might have light problems and everything but the smarthitch wouldn't work. Which I could see because the switch actually feels like an "on/off" position switch not a spring loaded so once you let go it returns back to off position type of deal. I used jumper cables directly on the battery and plow lights work. Just wanted to know before I hacked off the possibly bad light plugs and waste time soldering the lights directly to the harness will they even work? Basically what I'm trying to get at is what is the NEED to convert a 11pin plow to a 13 pin? I need to know exactly what does or doesn't work because I just picked up the plow with a trailer and haven't seen it in action. Also All trucks I have are pre wired with 13 pin. Thanks for any help. I can figure out all this through trial and error but love to just get to the point. Limited time...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

I would purchase the 11 pin to 13 pin conversion kit for the plow side as the headlights will not work. Its Boss part number MSC04759 and costs around $90. Gives the plow headlights a better ground connection and gives you the SmartHitch2 switch and wiring. Worth the money and will only take an hour or so.